Does spalting affect movement?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaac3d

Reaction score
I have a bit of spalted European ash which I will use in a small box project.
Does anyone know if spalting affects how much timber moves in service (normal shrinkage and expansion due to environmental/seasonal changes, indoors, UK).
This could be a case of "How long is a piece of string?", but I thought I'd ask in case someone has extensive knowledge of this subject.

Good question, well presented. As far as i have ever been able to ascertain It doesn't change the change rate but can lead to an increased risk of splitting as the wood dries out due to being less "elastic" in the cell membrane due to damage caused by the fungus eating its way through to get the yummy bits inside.

Right, good point; I did wonder about that. I see some cracks in the wood as it has dried (seasoned). I guess I can expect that the cracks may worsen.
This may change my plan to fill any cracks with epoxy as this will have no significant flexibility. Any suggestions for an alternative filler? Or maybe I just leave the cracks as they are as "natural features" :)

epoxy will be fine as the non spalted areas will still flex and once the piece is finished it will have a barrier (finish) on it anyway that will slow any movement due to moisture loss or gain. Epoxy is one of the best to use if you are intending to have a clear finish on that lets you see the grain as types like Water Clear from EasyComposites are totally transparent under a finish. If it was wood that was being painted then Bondo is a much cheaper material to use and very good.

BTW
It is an imperative that you give the wood time to fully acclimatise to its new environment. Leave it a few weeks where it will eventually go and then use it, especially if it is going somewhere with central heating.

I have some clear epoxy, so I guess I'll give it a go. The finish will indeed be transparent to show the spalting (panels on the lid of the box).
The timber is currently in a shed which I keep at 50 to 60% RH which is pretty similar to the house, so I should be OK there.

Back