Does Fairy liquid ruin waterstones??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does Fairy liquid ruin waterstones??

Being my usual disorganised self I keep an old fairy bottle with water to squirt onto my waterstones when sharpening - only this time I accidentally used the one that actually does contain Fairy...

So far the Fairy has stained the stone and left it feeling slightly "waxy" compared to the "non-Fairy" parts...

Cheers
Mike

Mike
Wouldn't of though it would harm them-might be worth soaking your stones in water to disolve any excess though.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Mike,

I think giving it a good rinse is in order, any on the surface will act as lube, not quite whats required on a sharpening stone. :roll:

Mike I second Daves thoughts, fairy liquid is excellent as a lube when cutting rubber but not so good on steel. If you do not wash it out it will go sticky and eventually gel, this could well spoil the stone.

wash it out with running water or soak it overnight until its gone

Bean

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have tried soaking it overnight and it feels a little less waxy but you can still see where the washing-up liquid hit it.

Might try some hot water to see if that dissolves it faster...

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike

Be careful with the hot water. It could easily crack the stone if the water is too hot. I wouldn't think above 70c would do it a lot of good. It is just a guess but I do know that stone will crack if it gets too hot. This obviously depends on the type of stone but I would be careful.

All The Best

John

:D if it hasnt gone all the way through can you not use the back for the time being after rubbing down to make it flat then over time it should wash out :D

martyn

Latest posts

Back