Does anyone know...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Harding

Established Member
Reaction score
of anywhere or anyone that would have some kit capable of drilling/boring a 80 dia hole about 200mm deep into solid elm?

either paying someone to do it for me, or renting time on the kit to do it myself.

luke

Making a winerack?

I thing something like this has come up recently.

Pete

When I first read this I thought "....its only a hole, just drill it!"

Until you actually think about it and realise it is over 3" diameter, which wouldn't be a problem up to maybe 20mm or so deep, but 200mm deep and 80mm diameter is quite a tall order.

What about a hole saw such as this
!BeNqEMQBGk~$(KGrHqEOKjkEq36+-Q1DBK8(sdM,(!~~_35.JPG

and an extended drive?

You would obviously have to do it bit at a time, cut 25mm deep then chisel out the waste, then cut a bit more etc.

if somebody could explain to me how to upload a picture i will show you?

ok well ill try and get round to that a bit later, but for now...

you are right pete, its for a wine rack. i.e. wine bottle sunk up to its neck in the elm.

I dont think a hole saw is an option, by the time you are over 100mm in i think it will start to become very hard to chisel the waste out, because of maneuvering the chisel, and the need to be able to hold the handle of the chisel which is now halfway down a hole to small for your hand. Plus i would also like the bottom of the hole to be nice and flat if possible.

My best guess at how to do it is with either and auger or Forster bit on a very powerful drill press, but i dont know who would have one

luke

I think I'd approach it a different way. Why not do it in two halves and glue it together :-k That way you could do it with planes and rasps which would be a lot easier than drilling.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

L Harding":3a9atrkv said:
o
you are right pete, its for a wine rack. i.e. wine bottle sunk up to its neck in the elm.

luke
That's going to be a pretty chunkable vino rack :shock: - Rob

A Forsner bit with extension rods? Would have to take it painfully slow with constant chip clearing. The biggest I've done is 50mm which isn't fun

Paul Chapman":1jti5gnq said:
I think I'd approach it a different way. Why not do it in two halves and glue it together :-k That way you could do it with planes and rasps which would be a lot easier than drilling.

Paul

The design has different wine bottles at different angles so it cant be done in more than one piece. (if it could be tho, how would you use a plane?)

luke

L Harding":1zsq8yzl said:
(if it could be tho, how would you use a plane?)

What I had in mind was that if you could cut the wood in half, you would then cut a round-bottomed slot in each half, then glue the two halves together. To cut the round-bottomed slot, there are various options. You could use various plough planes or a router, then finish it off with scrapers, rasps, gouges, or even sand it.

Hope this helps.

Paul

large_2657911.jpg

Ok so the one above was made by gluing up sections of two inch ash in a blockwork fashion and then turned. only the front plank has round holes, the rest is block work behind. This was done using a hole saw but that was on the limit of my piller drill so boring out the whole 80mm as appose to a 2mm wide 80mm circle just isnt going to happen.

This one cannot be done in the same way because the wine bottles are to go around the piece, and the elm is already at its finished size and i really dont want to start cutting it up. hence why i think my best bet is to find a very powerful pillar drill the the grunt to do it

Luke

I really like the design, but I think it's a tall order and I really can't think of a simple way to do it. Even with big machinery, I can't imagine how it would be done.

The only 80mm cutters I can find are from questionable sources. Famaag, Clico, etc all seem to stop at 50mm

What about using a smaller drill bit to drill lots of small holes, a 50mm forstner to grunt out the bulk of the waste and then rasps to make it neat? :-k nah

Now that I have a better idea of what you want to do, I think, if it were me, I'd just drink the wine and sod the rack :lol:

If you find a way of doing it, please let us know.

Paul

Hi, Luke

Apart from using the force :wink: I can't see an easy way, I would use a Brace and expansive bit but it would take a long while.

How about turning the idea around, and drilling a smaller hole and puting the neck of the bottle in?

Pete

Hi Luke. The Romans drilled very long wooden water pipes by hand, well by slave anyway. But how about a hole saw, available to well over 80mm diameter, to max depth. Clear hole, think deep mortice, repeat. You would need some extension shaft for the drive but after the first hole the saw will hold itself on center so there should be little problem, especially with a pillar drill. You could probably get rid of the centre drill as well, after the first cut, if the extra bit on the end would be embarassing.

HTH

xy

large_2657911.jpg

This piece is obviously laminated from sections of timber, i wouldn't be suprised if the front piece with the circular holes was the only piece with the circular hole in and the rear section was made up as pidgeon holes with the front attached before shaping to the cylindrical shape.
Sorry, i haven't managed to explain very well, i hope it makes sense.

I saw forstner bits 80mm and bigger in John boddys recently, also the bit need not be 200mm+ long as the hole is so large the drill chuck would fit inside the hole and allow for deeper drilling.
HTH

Latest posts

Back