does anyone know what these may have been used for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
During the summer hols we visited a national trust property on the south coast called Cotehele mill. (http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cotehele-mill/). They had some great displays of old tools, and workshops and I got talking to the guides who started picking my brains about some of the tools they could not identify. Most of them were strait forward, but there were three objects on the top floor of the mill that left me puzzled. I said I knew some very helpful individuals on a forum I frequented who may be able to help, so over to you guy's because I'm stumped so far.

They are similar to things to do carding with but I don't think they are. The dry, half teasel heads would not stay put.

But something with a large surface area - as Graham says, plaster; or cheese, leather, a horse, wet bricks ... gawd knows.

Another for thatching, we have some replacement faces to make for a local thatcher in the workshop. Also, great job on passing on the old school "how to" to the Lost Art Press!

Thanks chaps.
I knew you lot would work it out. I will let the people at the national trust know, and I have learnt something new as well.
I now know what a leggatt is!
Cheers, Richard.

richarnold":170tu4w7 said:
I now know what a leggatt is!
Cheers, Richard.

Isnt that what do do when you hear the girlfriend'a father coming in the front door whilst you're at it on the sofa?? :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back