Does anyone keep a genuine Staffie Bull Terrier plse?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
For the next 10 days, I'm looking after my son's Staffie, a young puppy about 12 month old (if that). Are they all daft, sloppy, and untrainable? or is it just her age? I was hoping to make some advances, but she doesn't respond like a German Shepherd I fear!!

It's weird. She knows she shouldn't get on the armchairs and soon as I turf her off she goes straight to her blanket and settles, with that guilty look! yet first chance again, back on the chair! Just a dog I guess! :D

Might I just as well give up and leave it to my son? (Who can be as daft as a brush himself!)

Just for summat different to discuss!

Cheers
John :)

Sory John - I know it's never the dog always the owner, but I don't like that sort of dog.

I suppose the upside is that it's young.

Reminds me of a friend (from the past) who went to Oz for a month, leaving a Russian Doberman with his mum, who's a pensioner. Muggings here had to go round most evenings and take it for a walk. Ever been taken for a walk by a horse? That's exactly what it felt like.

Mind you didn't get any bother from anyone - when a large dog with cropped ears and docked tail (it was imported like that) comes your way, most folk cross the road.

Mind you there's a guy local'ish that I see every know and then walking what looks like an Alskan Malamute (looks more like a wolf to be honest). A very beautiful dog!

Hi Dibs...

It's not a case of like or dislike I suppose, although most dogs please me.

We got conned into caring for this dog over Xmas because we weren't going to leave the house! Kids eh? :)

I have a large garden, which at this time of year won't suffer too much from the dog's attentions. So as it's not too cold, she is out there most of the day.

No probs.. Just wondered if I might be able to teach her something!

:D

Regards
John

Benchwayze":2ml40lth said:
Hi Dibs...

It's not a case of like or dislike I suppose, although most dogs please me.

We got conned into caring for this dog over Xmas because we weren't going to leave the house! Kids eh? :)

I have a large garden, which at this time of year won't suffer too much from the dog's attentions. So as it's not too cold, she is out there most of the day.

No probs.. Just wondered if I might be able to teach her something!

:D

Regards
John

I went to a few dog classes with the owner and the one thing which stuck in my mind was the reward thing - i.e. dog does as it was asked\told and it got a small treat. Sort of associating good behaviour with a reward. In your case it isn't applicable - but the life saving thing I picked up was holding a lead in one hand (quite short) ahead of you and passing it round the back of you, to the other hand. That way if the dog tries to pull away it has most of your body weight to shift as opposed to ripping your arm out of it's socket. An absolute life saver when taking that "horse" for a walk.

I could suggest a few few things to train it to do - especially as you got conned into looking after it, but I suppose you want to be on talking terms afterwards. :wink:

Different dog breeds definitely have different temperaments. My two jacks are good as gold when it's just us here. Never a bark or a growl and they do exactly as they are told. As soon as we get a visitor they turn into yappy intolerable little sh*ts. The only way to shut them up is to either shout very loudly (which isn't pleasant for your guests to hear) or shut them out the back where they can annoy the neighbours. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aye... True enough.
Thanks Dibs..
I am now going to browse Ellis's Modern Practical Joinery, with a good malt in one hand!

Alla best

John :ho2

The man for your Staffies was/is Andy King from Good Woodworking magazine, who was a member here but when last I heard was posting on the other side http://www.woodworkuk.com/ and maybe even Getwoodworking http://www.getwoodworking.com/

As for the dogs themselves, we had one which we lost about 8 years ago, and they are really no different to any of the Terrier's. For instance "Mischief" the Jack Russell who is aptly named and our present pain in the neck, knows exactly what she is doing and how far to push you, and when she has gone to far and before you can tell her off, she will either be on her back with her belly up pointed up or sitting on her bum with her paw up in the air.

For the short time you have him/her (unless you are going to be involved in his/her training) I would leave it to your son and just sit back and enjoy him/her. They can be little beggars, but they put a smile on your face, which you must have already found out.

Now if he/she is damaging your furniture that is a different story, and in that case I would give him/her back :wink:

In comparison to our Rottie, the JR is a monster. :lol: But a loveable one.

EDIT: Tom, Our posts crossed and I have to say that our russell is exactly the same when it comes to yapping, and no matter how many times you tell her she will not shut up until I do what my wife calls the "Daddy Voice"

Cheers

Mike

Hold it down on the floor on its back with your hand round its throat (not quite throttling it) and say in a stearn voice " I'm the leader of this pack you little f8c33er and don't you forget it!"

I say I say!!

"My dog is called carpenter because it does little jobs round the house."

"If I put my foot behind it, will it make a bolt for the door"

The problem is the dog is used to doing and being allowed to do x,y and z at home.
When it comes to you, you would like it to do a, b and c. It will take longer than a few days for the dog to understand that what it normally does is 'bad' and learn to change to a different set of rules.

It's not the dogs fault, it's just behaving how it's been allowed to or being shown at home.

I think the advice to just enjoy it's company is the best, because as soon as it goes back home it will carry on doing what it is allowed to do there.

Put some old covers or sheets on your chairs whilst it's with you.

Or train the owner to encourage the dog to stay off the furniture at home.

As I said it's not the dogs fault, it needs kind, steady and firm direction in one direction only.

Absolutely spot on Peter, i used to keep Staffies and
they are one of the easiest dog's to train in my opinion.
Oh! and before i forget John, you might not be too happy
when it comes to the "PILES" you find in the garden,
Staffies aren't known as "sh*t machines" for nothing. :shock: :lol:

Hold it down on the floor on its back with your hand round its throat (not quite throttling it) and say in a stearn voice " I'm the leader of this pack you little f8c33er and don't you forget it!"

Does it work?
Our previous hound was a Black Lab X Rotty, I weighed him when he was young, at over 10 stone, arguing with him was a waste of breath!

Roy.

All dogs respond well to 'domination', but that is often abused or overdone. Recent thinking is to take a liberal touch and training is often via reward. As I said above. The only thing that will shut my dogs up for certain is to yell at them as loud as I can.

To train any dog you need to understand its mentality. All Dogs are pack animals, every pack will have a leader, and a pecking order. You MUST assume the role of pack leader, if you do not then the dog will, then the dog is in charge and frankly you are in trouble.

The suggestion above, of role it over on its back, pin it down and hold it by the throat is a good one, the dog will be under no illusion who is in charge.

kasandrich said:
All Dogs are pack animals, every pack will have a leader, and a pecking order. You MUST assume the role of pack leader, if you do not then the dog will, then the dog is in charge and frankly you are in trouble.
quote]

My sister used to joke about that.
When she got her first dog, they applied the "pack mentality" approach and the dog soon worked it out.
Her husband was pack leader, the dog came second and she was bottom of the pile! :mrgreen:

No good as gaurd dogs, as they will lick the intruder to death.

Very intelligent, so easy to train and the only dog that can smile.

Millie, runt of the litter.
millie2.jpg

millie1.jpg

I bet you will miss her when she goes back. :D

Cheers.

Back