Dodgy axminster/ bessey k body clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have any of you guys considered that the unfit-for-purpose ones are just a lure to get you to part with your money in two stages, so it doesn't hurt quite so much? :wink: :)

Nick
Yes, I thought just that. But then I reckoned "sod it" and went ahead.
As I already have Besseys and know they have always been perfect, and I have the Axminster ones and have found, this time, that they have a problem I reckoned it would be safer to stick with what I know best.
The K Bodies are on offer at the moment so the difference in price didn't really hurt too much and the others are paid for already.
Two stage payments might catch on - you never know! What a waste of time and effort, though.
If the quality control was good this sort of thing would not happen. I guess that is why there is such a price difference.
I still like the short Axminster parallel jaw clamps, though. Less chance for them to bend!

Cheers.

SF

Hi All, First post ever - wish it was a bit more positive but ...... I bought a couple of the axminster green-handled (Bessey lookalikes) last week and, since they looked pretty good, I bought another pair this week.

Unfortunately, while clamping up a project this afternoon, the head casting snapped ! Only light pressure and I know my Bessey's would easily have coped.

'Fraid they're just not fit for purpose and I've lost some confidence. I think I'll return all four and pay the difference for Bessey's.

Just an update to my previous post - swapped all four for Bessey K-Bodies.
Axminster were very helpful arranging a pick up and replacements delivery at the same time. As usual the Bessey's work great, which for me means they don't get a second thought and I can concentrate on the glue-up.

Woody Alan":1o7yvtbh said:
Paul

Sorry I didn't make that very clear did I? They did pay for the return it's just according to the girl on the phone it would seem the correct code words are neccessary e.g. "these are not satisfactory quality" didn't cut any ice. She encouraged me to say they were faulty which I don't think they were, I think they were made to a shoddy standard in the first place. It's all a moot point I guess, who cares as long as they paid.

As a bonus my missus is going around smugly saying I should have bought the Besseys in the first place, and being ever so humble I have to agree and promise that I have learned my lesson and only buyy the best from now on. Now, I know there's going to be a catch at some point, and being a mere male I haven't spotted it yet, but I like to think for however short a time, I have somehow gained the edge here, feeling all warm and cosy.

Alan

Get that in writing or audio recorded.

After reading through this and wondering if I should just take the plunge again with some more tried and tested Bessey kbodys or try some cheaper variety I know what my decision is cheers guys.

"As a bonus my missus is going around smugly saying I should have bought the Besseys in the first place, and being ever so humble I have to agree and promise that I have learned my lesson and only buy the best from now on."

Jesus wept!!! :lol: :lol:

Seems about every woodworking outlet, including those who profess to hate 'copyists,' have their own version of the Bessey K-Body clamp which, of course, Bessey is still very much in the business of making.

Maybe if Bessey's president decided to make them on a 'boutique basis' in a New England idyll, wear a cute, rakish vest, and read poetry to the crew at lunch-break everybody would give them a little more love.

Back