Do you recognise this band saw sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awemawson

Reaction score
Sharpener_1.JPG

Sharpener_2.JPG

Sharpener_3.JPG

Sharpener_4.JPG

I recently bought this on a well know auction site as a suspected band saw blade sharpener. I bought it just to see if it was (!!) and I suspect that it is, but does anyone recognise it? Same place was selling all sorts of ancient woodworking and blacksmithing equipment, including an A L Dalton 30" ancient band saw which this possibly was an accessory (By a co-incidence I have just bought but not yet collected an identical machine) Both items seem to be 1900 -1930 sort of date from the nicely cast parts and finishing.

The 'sharpener' seems to draw a triangular file across the gullets of the teeth, lifting the file and indexing the blade on to the next tooth automatically as the lever is pulled and pushed. Not quite got the hang of it yet but it seems complete except for the file.

I cannot understand the purpose of the broad spring loaded clamp on the side of the device shown face on in the fourth picture.

Any comments / hints appreciated

Attachments

• Sharpener_1.JPG
    Sharpener_1.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Sharpener_2.JPG
    Sharpener_2.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Sharpener_3.JPG
    Sharpener_3.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Sharpener_4.JPG
    Sharpener_4.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 258
No, no names or clues in the part detected so far!

A few photos of the band saw that I've bought:

My_Dalton_1.JPG

My_Dalton_2.JPG

My_Dalton_3.JPG

And some of the apparently identical one on ebay ending tomorrow:

Other_Dalton_1.JPG

Other_Dalton_2.JPG

Other_Dalton_3.JPG

Other_Dalton_4.JPG

Other_Dalton_5.JPG

Other_Dalton_7.JPG

Other_Dalton_6.JPG

Attachments

• My_Dalton_1.JPG
    My_Dalton_1.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 197
  • My_Dalton_2.JPG
    My_Dalton_2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 197
  • My_Dalton_3.JPG
    My_Dalton_3.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 197
  • Other_Dalton_1.JPG
    Other_Dalton_1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Other_Dalton_2.JPG
    Other_Dalton_2.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Other_Dalton_3.JPG
    Other_Dalton_3.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Other_Dalton_4.JPG
    Other_Dalton_4.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Other_Dalton_5.JPG
    Other_Dalton_5.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Other_Dalton_6.JPG
    Other_Dalton_6.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Other_Dalton_7.JPG
    Other_Dalton_7.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 197
That frame shape is surely a Crescent bandsaw out of the States? Have a shufti on OWWM 'Mothership' data pages, they have multiple entries on Crescents, including manuals, cutaway drawings, lubrication etc. I know, 'cos I have a rip-off copy of a smaller model to yours and that site proved invaluable in sorting out what went where.

Sam

It may be based on the Crescent, but doesn't match any on the owwm site. The head arrangement is also markedly different.

Ahh! Such is the value of this site - somebody has a better grip on the info than me; saves a lot of Yankee faffing about.
Thanks, awemawson. Sam

If it is indeed a sharpener that uses a file .... is there still such a thing as a blade that is filable? The right shaped tooth (non hooked) and hand - saw - hard (no hard tips) ?

I think Dakin Flathers still make one but it's a few years since I checked.

Well I've got it mounted on the bench, fixed a triangular file into it, played with the adjustments and lo and behold when pulling the lever back and forth the file is lifted, the blade is indexed one tooth right, the file lowered and file engages a gullet. The apparent 'clamp' on picture 4 is in fact a spring loaded rest that the carriage is limited by and adjusts the downwards pressure of the file on the saw. Needless to say all the pivots and bearing are horrendously worn, but I have no problem replacing them as I've a well equipped metalwork shop.

As for it's practicality - I suppose with a suitable diamond file it would work on a modern steel blade. Anyway it'll be fun resurrecting it.

Ooh, I want one of those, tried Dakin Flathers website; but there didn't seem to be any. Something to keep an eye on e-bay for.

Does anyone have a link or guidance on how to do it by hand with a file? Most of the Internet results do it with a Dremel(which I don't want to buy) and I've got a few old big toothed blades that I want to sharpen.

DT

Tierney":14ibhldx said:
Ooh, I want one of those, tried Dakin Flathers website; but there didn't seem to be any. Something to keep an eye on e-bay for.

Does anyone have a link or guidance on how to do it by hand with a file? Most of the Internet results do it with a Dremel(which I don't want to buy) and I've got a few old big toothed blades that I want to sharpen.

DT

In the spirit of the OP may I suggest "Grimshaw on Saws?"

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php

and many more - start here:

http://openlibrary.org/books/OL7053367M/Saws

awemawson":2xqu4u4n said:
Well I've got it mounted on the bench, fixed a triangular file into it, played with the adjustments and lo and behold when pulling the lever back and forth the file is lifted, the blade is indexed one tooth right, the file lowered and file engages a gullet. The apparent 'clamp' on picture 4 is in fact a spring loaded rest that the carriage is limited by and adjusts the downwards pressure of the file on the saw. Needless to say all the pivots and bearing are horrendously worn, but I have no problem replacing them as I've a well equipped metalwork shop.

As for it's practicality - I suppose with a suitable diamond file it would work on a modern steel blade. Anyway it'll be fun resurrecting it.

It would be great if you could post a little video of it (more or less) working when you've cleaned it up - it sounds fascinating.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back