DO YOU REALLYT USE THE DUAL ACTION IN THE SANDER?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycorleone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I thinking in buying a new dual action sander Metabo SXE450 TurboTec or Festool Rotex . But not really sure if I'm going to find any benefit in my woodowrking with the dual action mode (Coarse - Fine sanding) because I normally think a woodworker only use the fine finish sanding most of the time

How about when you do a curved shape with your bandsaw or jig saw and you'like to get rid of the saw marks? In that kind of activities the aggressive mode would be quite useful, I think (I do not own either of these sanders mentioned in your post).

I have two Porter Cable sanders,but then I bought my Festool RO150 and with the dust extraction I see no more dust.Takes down real fast,then orbital and now up comes the grain nicely Its a very nice piece of Tooling.

Argee":13j29v4o said:
I've had this Makita dual-action for many years now. I don't use the dual action capability often, but when I need it, it's brilliant. :)

Ray.

Thanks, I was cosidering the makita until I check the orbit which is 5.5mm Quite a lot for finishing

I've used a Metabo one for years mostly when finishing 'furniture' for shop fits. Much of this is veneered MDF and I can use the 5mm orbit on commercial veneered boards (veneer is only .6mm thick) so not really that aggresive. In that case I would start with the 5mm orbit P150 disc to get the veneer smooth and then go over with the P150 on the 3mm orbit and then continue sanding further grits on 3mm orbit. Can only remember going through a veneer once in the middle of a board, although you have to be careful on the edges.

I have recently purchased a Festool ETS150 3mm orbit and this a different machine entirely, well same machine but a huge difference in quality of build and end results are better. My Metabo feels very rough in comparison to the ETS. I bought one when a rep let me try one for sanding spray painted MDF. (He used to be self employed as a sprayer and it was his machine he had used for many years and it still felt great) The Metabo is just too unbalanced to run well and it just sands through the paint. The ETS is a dream and has saved us a lot of time in finishing flat panels. It also sands quicker than the Metabo on 3mm orbit. The only thing I use the Metabo for now is when I need the 5mm orbit for faster material removal. I will eventually get a 5mm ETS as the difference is so great.

While deciding on whether to get the Festool or not, as I live near the Festool importer, I dropped in to try the machines out. I tried out the Rotex as well. The Rotex is not, in my opinion, a machine for fine sanding. It is really made for removing material fast and polishing. The ETS is very smooth to use and is the finish sander in their line up. The rotex is much harder to hold, more like an angle grinder, and doesn't feel very 'smooth' in use, it feels in some ways like the Metabo does and this is prob 10 years old. The ETS is a one hand machine
From what you say you are looking for a finishing sander, go for the ETS not the Rotex and the Festool is worth the extra cash over the Metabo.

For you do decide to get the Rotex then don't get a 125mm one, or at least try it before you do. It felt all the time like it was fighting against me. Even the guys at Tool Technics (importer) don't seem to like it!!

It's only my opinion but I hope this helps.

Johnny B

The Rotex and the Metabo can't really be compared, their second 'dual' action is different - one is a very aggressive rotary action (with an eccentric orbit), the other is a standard random orbital, just with a bigger 'dither'.

Whether you need it or not depends what you want a sander to do. If you just want to finish sand things, the Rotex would be a waste of money - there are plenty of cheaper ROSs in the world (even Festool ones).

Back