Do people never learn ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
How come folks get to the point of being internationally recognised for their work and are still happy to present their working methods, and one can only assume them to be their norm, without any significant personal protection.
The latest image to make me cringe is Ashley Harwood featured on page 29 of the spring 2012 (No.239) Woodturning.

She is wearing (tap-tap) safety glasses.
How representative of her usual protection is the photo though?
If she usually wears a full mask and heavy work clothes the picture of her. Wouldn't look as pretty...

Yes, I notice she also gives classes and demos, and sees her work "getting bigger - on a different scale altogether".
Well. that`s one big bowl she`s turning in the photo, so the mind boggles at what she might have in mind! :shock: I don`t think a pair of safety specs will make a lot of difference if something like that comes off the lathe!
Let`s hope she is rather more thoughtful when teaching her students.
To be fair, though, she`s hardly an isolated example. You wouldn`t need to flip through many back copies to see similar examples.

Ian

Silverbirch":bgtrbe5n said:
.......To be fair, though, she`s hardly an isolated example. You wouldn`t need to flip through many back copies to see similar examples.

Ian

That's one of the sad things about many of the magazines, they bang on about safety but are happy to print images of someone performing a task that has the potential to seriously injure themselves that can be interpreted by the inexperienced as being a perfectly satisfactory practice. It's only 10 months since one of her country women was killed by a flying wood blank.

Chas,
As you are probably aware I have written For the Woodturning Mag for six years and as an author Ie always take great care to illustrate safe practice this even includes demonstrating using a saftey visor the image shown is more than likly a staged shot but if you have concerns over this matter it would probably be best to discuss the matter with the GMC editor Mark Baker or one of his team alternativly post the question/concern on the Woodworkers institue forum rather than here.
Nick Arnull.

resized_S7003734.JPG

She wears a visor - This is Ashley at Glenn Lucas a few months back.

I'd guess the photo is staged for prettiness.

Laurence

EDIT - this visor is up here - She was in the process of explanation - with the lathe stopped.

Attachments

• resized_S7003734.JPG
    resized_S7003734.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 1,378
I spoke to Mark Baker at the first Detling show last year in depth about this and he did say the photos are for the magazine only , and that they do premote the FULL use of all safty gear when turning

Mark was wearing a visor at this years show when turning other than when he was explaining techniques when he lifted it so he could be listened to

So all is good 8) 8)

Same bowl - Visor Down

Attachments

• resized_S7003736.JPG
    resized_S7003736.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,368
Indeed. Went to a demonstration by a "well-known turner" recently, in an old school hall with nil ventilation and no extraction. The demonstrator used no respiratory protection or face shield, and took great delight in showering those sitting in the front row with shavings. All very fine and macho, but...............?

Back