Do I need to return this Makita SP6000 plunge saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughcollier

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

After a couple of years of making do with an 18v circular saw and a few homemade tracks I have finally taken the plunge (no pun intended) and bought a Makita SP6000 track saw kit which arrived this morning.

However it seems that the sole plate of the saw isn't completely flat which is causing a fairly pronounced rock from corner to corner. Hopefully you can see what I mean from the videos below. It also seem like there is a bow at the centre point of the sole plate down one side.

It seems a very similar issue to the one the Skill Builder guys pointed out in this video while they were reviewing the Bosch GKT 55.

My instincts say this is a serious flaw with the saw and I should return for a replacement but just wanted to get some opinions from the much the more informed and experienced folk on here first.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Video 29-05-2021, 11 42 22.mov
    10.4 MB
  • Video 29-05-2021, 11 41 08.mov
    13.3 MB
Straight back no second thoughts, if's or buts. It's clearly faulty, the longer you wait, the more the supplier will try to wriggle off the hook.

When I clicked your video, it downloaded to my hdd. then when I tried to play it, it says I need to download a codec price 79p.

Never had that happen before.

When I clicked your video, it downloaded to my hdd. then when I tried to play it, it says I need to download a codec price 79p.

Suggest you delete it, and run a deep scan antivirus software asap.

Thanks all for the input. A quick update:

Interestingly, as soon as I slackened off the two bevel adjustment screws the sole plate flattened out nicely and now shows no sign of twist whatsoever. It's now sitting on a flat surface without any of the previous rock. This seems consistent with many of the experiences people have had with the Bosch saw where as soon as a bevel adjustment is made the sole plate levels itself out.

I'm still undecided whether to return the saw or not. Currently leaning towards keeping it as I see no real fault in it at the moment, despite the initial twist in the sole plate.

I'm sorry about that. I'm not sure why that would have happened. They were just quick videos shot from my iPhone and then uploaded to Dropbox.

Send it back if it's not flat.

———-snip———-

Never seen these two on the video before, but no safety glasses when using a circular saw is total numpty.
Numpty is using the saw without dust collection.
numpty is insisting on one way is always correct.
I don't use safety glasses when using my track saw with dust extraction, and if the dust extraction isn’t there I soon connect it as that reminds me why I use my TS55.

Interestingly, as soon as I slackened off the two bevel adjustment screws the sole plate flattened out nicely and now shows no sign of twist whatsoever. It's now sitting on a flat surface without any of the previous rock. This seems consistent with many of the experiences people have had with the Bosch saw where as soon as a bevel adjustment is made the sole plate levels itself out.

I'm still undecided whether to return the saw or not. Currently leaning towards keeping it as I see no real fault in it at the moment, despite the initial twist in the sole plate.
Check it really carefully, again and again and again.
Do not make any allowances.
Use a piece of plate glass and something like dentists contact paper to check.
The warp may have been induced but your adjustment may not have allowed it to be completely eliminated and it may be set permanently now.

Numpty is using the saw without dust collection.
numpty is insisting on one way is always correct.
I don't use safety glasses when using my track saw with dust extraction, and if the dust extraction isn’t there I soon connect it as that reminds me why I use my TS55.

Good for you. I suppose that's why Festool state always use safety glasses in their product literature, but you never know.

I guess you'll think about changing to having glasses on when you're in A&E having chips dug out of your eye.

Last edited:
Good for you.

I guess you'll think about changing to having glasses on when you're in A&E having chips dug out of your eye.
I have my chips with salt a vinegar & my tracksaw doesn’t throw wood dust anywhere but out the dust port, it does drop a tiny sprinkle downwards. With that a dust mask and glasses are superfluous. If you need them with your saw then it suggests you could use a better saw.

Other saws I use are different and with those I use eye protection but there is no point in using unnecessary protection.

Yes I have dust masks, organic materials masks, protective glasses, sound protection and protective gloves and use the protection needed for the job.

Snip

If you need them with your saw then it suggests you could use a better saw.

Other saws I use are different and with those I use eye protection but there is no point in using unnecessary protection.
/snip

That's fine if it suits you that way. You've no idea what my saw is, but your quite happy to tell me to use a better one, strange indeed.

Give Makita a call.
For the trouble I have always found them to be really helpful.

Oh, and if you decide to keep it make sure you register the purchase online with them.

Yes, it's really lovely having dye shot I to your eye so that they can pick out the pieces (from first hand experience). Wear glasses, or if you wear ordinary specs choose plastic lenses and add side protection shields

To the OP - the base should be flat, but the real question is, "how does it cut?"

Check it really carefully, again and again and again.
Do not make any allowances.
Use a piece of plate glass and something like dentists contact paper to check.
The warp may have been induced but your adjustment may not have allowed it to be completely eliminated and it may be set permanently now.
The stuff you want is called 8 micron shimstock, not occlusal indicator paper which can be up to <shudders> 200 microns thick. DOI - ex-dentist
Best wishes, John

I think he should be fine. It’s Microsoft trying to cash in on differently encoded videos
Buy HEVC Video Extensions - Microsoft Store en-GB
You should be able to watch the video in many freely available video players.
Both videos scanned OK with bitdefender. It scans them as it downloads. I also ran another check and both files clean, but you can never be too careful these days!

I have the Makita and I noticed (a little late) that it had what sounds like exactly your issues.
Some tips/points to double check that I came across as a beginner plunge saw user;
  • Read the instruction manual. No really…read the instruction manual again!
    There’s some useful information on how to adjust the saw and the configuration of the sole plate which I’d completely overlooked on my initial browse through.
  • Check that the plunge spring is clearly held onto the spigot underneath the sole plate. In my case at some point in time the spring had dislodged itself and plastic spigot was protruding through and distorting the centre of the sole plate.
  • There are adjustable cam screws on the underside of the base which can correct small amounts of twist in the sole plate by tightening/loosening as appropriate.
However, I would merely familiarise myself with the process and visually inspect the sole plate and spring etc. If there’s clear buckling or twisting then as already mentioned, pass it back to the supplier for an exchange ASAP (as in an ideal world I would have)

Something else to double check (assuming you already have done) but take the saw off the track and place on a flat surface - does it seem stable? If yes then it’s possible the track itself could be twisted slightly or bent in one area from a knock or poor shipping etc.

Richy.

As above return to Bosch.

And I agree wholeheartedly with the skilbuilders vid about Bosch not doing quality control and letting us find out if somethings amiss and having to return it. Down side of that is a complete water take to the customer sending good money on their kit and being offered a slap in the chops.
Tool being returned might wel be needed for a job and in the time it takes to return and have a replacement, which due to no quality control might not even be the solution and the replacement needs returned too. Time is money, and delayed job upsets the customer.

A bit back I was going for a new sander and opted for the Bosch GEX 125-150 AVE random orbital. Bought it, liked the fact you'd the choice of fitting a 125mm pad or a 150mm, and came with 50 discs, plus am L-boxx but when it arrived and i turned it on it jumped about the place and was obvious the base wasnt balanced. In fact even with both hands and braced I couldnt stop it jumping about. It was honestly trying to hold onto a bucking bronco.
Bosch were fine with it and took it back no probs and issued a refund.

I replaced it with a festool eq125, which arrived and worked flawlessly from the off. The festool was more a finishing sander and half the size of orbit, but I was happier it was going to be worth the outlay due to festools attention to detail and knew it wasnt going to be poor quality control. No way I was wanting to wait any longer in hope a replacement Bosch worked and wasn't flawed like the first one.

Back