Do I build a new stand?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm finding I get excessive vibration from my lathe when turning larger bowls with the headstock turned 90 degrees. I've got an axminster M900 lathe with the supplied stand. There is a shelf in the middle with a box for tools. I've put a bag of sand on the shelf; this helped but didn't solve the problem.

Rather than trying to add more and more weight to the stand would I be better off building my own stand? Based on my workbench I doubt it would move too far.

Before starting I just wanted to check if I'm wasting my time.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave.

In answer to your question about a new bench, IMHO, YES it would make a big difference to your lathe as long as it is stiff/heavy, and fixed down. Turn it into a cupboard for tools, or fill it with loads of drying timber, or anything else that will weigh it down. The pressed steel stand that comes with these lathes doesn't allow you to use the lathe to it's full capabilities. IMO.

Happy turning.

A quick fix is to put side panels and a back panel on the stand and then reinforce the shelf and put some weight on it. I have seen some quite robust stands made in this way.

Cheers for the info. I think I'll build myself a new stand. The workbench didn't take long and this will be smaller. I've got some slabs of split oak which will probably suit the job well.

Dave

Ive just built the stand that Keith Rowley recomends in "woodturning a foundation course" i havent tried it out yet but its very sturdy.

Which remonds me, whats best wayof securing bench to the ground, its a concrete floor but quite thin.
Where and what would i get something to secure it with?

Thanks

Hi Alie.

It all depends how big your lathe is. If you have copied the 'Rowley' bench you may not have to secure it. Just make sure it is filled with plenty of gear/wood whatever to give it some weight. The idea is to have the lathe mounted onto something solid, not necessarily secured to the floor. Again though it all depends how big your lathe is.

My big lathe is not secured to the floor, but it has got almost 50kilos of lead billets in the stand beneath the head stock. It hasn't moved yet.

trouble is the ground itll be on isnt that flat, its an old shed. Ill try filling it with things first before securing it. ill need to make sure its level first and foremost.

A good tip I use is to make a large oblong shaped, box from some Contiplas or similar, which can be completely sealed and fill it with builders sand mixed with clean engine oil....kills all vibration stone dead - Rob

Back