Disston Dovetail Saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Disston #70 Dovetail Saw. http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/dvtl.html

Part of my hand tool collection. It was in rather poor condition when I purchased it. The handle shape matches that listed within Disston's 1918 Catalogue; much more refined in appearance than that shown within their later 1932 Catalogue. The 17 ppi saw teeth look to be in original condition and still remain very sharp. Saw plate length is 8"; 0.018 saw plate gauge; the 1 1/12" depth of usable plate exactly its listed specs; and the original manufacturers etch remains clearly visible. The handle is all original, apart from having a new stained finish applied. What remained of the original brass plating over the surface of the hard back was later lost during this saws refurbishment. Photo's taken today.

Stewie;

David. The saw refurbishment was around 8yrs ago. I cant remember the exactly rosewood stain mix I used at the time. It's possibly listed somewhere within my journals.

Stewie;

A number of years ago I made this set of wooden spoke shaves. A totally different type of finishing technique was used compared to that seen on the #70 backsaw.

Stewie;

swagman":32pgqpbp said:
A number of years ago I made this set of wooden spoke shaves. A totally different type of finishing technique was used compared to that seen on the #70 backsaw.

Stewie;

Bloody hell Stewie, they look gorgeous =D>

Beautiful - ebony?

I particularly like the middle one with the adjusters. Did you make the blades from scratch, or "upcycle"? If the latter, how did you apply a screw thread to the "horns"?

Nice little saw! Do you use it? If so how does it perform? I don't know much about saws, but the 2 Dissitons I have are great users!

Those Spokeshaves :shock: ..... Brilliant :D How do you get them so shiny?

Thanks Tony. I am fairly sure I still have an extra larger size Nos spokeshave blade left over from that project.

The Disston #70 with the earlier 1918 type handle design (in reasonable condition) are not commonly found as far as I am aware.

Stewie;

Back