Digital bevel box measuring device

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a thought about this bevel box being discussed.

If you set it on the blade and face it to some object set in a mitre slot could you prove that the blade was square to that slot?

If you set it on the blade and face it to some object set in a mitre slot could you prove that the blade was square to that slot?

Hi Devonwoody, (I maybe missing the point), The bevel box will give the Blade tilt with respect to the table, it cannot measure the angle of the blade with respect to the mitre slot.

Yes I understand what you are saying as well but it might be possible to orientate the slot with another angle piece that then registers its other angles.
Even it it needs to be done from front and rear edge of blade.

Only hands on for me could tell if this could be done, some others their brain might be able to work it.

That was my concern DW. Without accuracy in two planes a box will still be rhomboid, which is why I use a sled.

Roy.

If you zero the box to the fence, then attach it to a block sitting in the groove, it will give you a reading, spot on or out. I would set the blade to the slot and the fence, adjust the blade, and fence.

Yes I thought there would be tricks that would prove other angles as well.

Seem to remember geometry homeworks of 60 years ago did some funny things.

Mike Wingate":2c1wrdss said:
If you zero the box to the fence, then attach it to a block sitting in the groove, it will give you a reading, spot on or out. I would set the blade to the slot and the fence, adjust the blade, and fence.

I don't understand this. I may be missing the point, but the only alignments I can see this helping one to do is to align the vertical face of the fence with the tilt of the blade, and the tilt of the sides of the slot. Obviously they are not very useful adjustments.

Unless you have tipped the saw on its side during the process?

Its like using two right angles one on fence and a second one on the first right angle and you have then found another use for right angles setting up a fence to blade angle. :x :wink:

Jake":d75lxtxt said:
Doesn't work for me, not without tipping the saw over.

Havent got one, but if you put another angle piece up so that saw doesnt need turning over then something might happen.

I don't have one either. I meant it doesn't work mentally.

It's an inclinometer, it measures the variation from a horizontal plane. It can't tell if you spin it around in a circle as long as you keep it flat in that plane. So stick the thing on a level table saw top, attach it to the fence, zero it, now unclamp the fence and put it on the bed at 90 degrees to the normal direction. It should still read 0 as long as the fence is sitting flat on the saw bed.

If the box is able to manufacture a local distortion in gravity, then I am obviously underestimating its capabilities.

What happens if you use the bevel box as per sketches below.

Edges have been marked with 1234 first and normal operation

but if 3 then becomes the base does the sensor turn as well or is it fixed as per the first set up?
ANGLEWIXEY.jpg

If it is fixed it might display that the blade surface is not now perpendicular

In your pictures the device is on or next to the mite slot, it doesn't have a clue what the blade is doing. You could put it on full tilt or undo the bolts and turn the motor unit around as much as you like and it still will not be aware of any change.

All it 'knows' is that (by reference to gravity) it has been tipped over onto its side.

What are the beam-like things which are projecting from the box towards the blade? Or are they just whiskers?

I am assuming the gadget lays on a flat surface and sends out a laser ray that hits the blade and indicates that the object it hits is 90degrees or whatever, if it does and it is parallel to a slot and turned it could perhaps register a different set of figures. ?????

Mine turned up today, early birthday present from my sister which is nice.

Looks like a solid bit of kit, very accurate, will have a full play tomorrow.

Jake":3ufl6mxt said:
In your pictures the device is on or next to the mite slot, it doesn't have a clue what the blade is doing. You could put it on full tilt or undo the bolts and turn the motor unit around as much as you like and it still will not be aware of any change.

All it 'knows' is that (by reference to gravity) it has been tipped over onto its side.

What are the beam-like things which are projecting from the box towards the blade? Or are they just whiskers?

This and DW's drawing is the funniest thing i have read for ages- brilliant

Back