Dieter Schmid at fine tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek S

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm thinking of purchasing a Veritas No.4 to replace my not to good irwin model and have found a website owned by Dieter Schmid through general searching on the internet (I don't have permission on my account to post a link to websites so if you search for the owners name it should show up) and it offers the Veritas No.4 at a significant discount to here in the UK it works out at approximatley £200 including postage. I've never purchased goods outside the UK so my question is do any of you have experiance with this retailer and would you recommend them? Thanks all.

He's entirely reputable - I would be inclined to check all your costs carefully though; I don't see why a mainly Europe supplier would be cheaper on a Canadian tool than a UK one.

BugBear

Thanks for the reply, i've added the item to my trolley selected the shipping and payment method and this is what it comes out as:

Smoothing Plane No. 4 Blade Width 2 in. (51 mm) VERITAS
Item nr. 307913 | 3.00% discount : 7,17 EUR 239,00 EUR
Subtotal : 239,00 EUR
Shipping charge : 12,00 EUR
Discount : - 7,17 EUR
Total incl. VAT : 243,83 EUR

Thats what the charges come out at and when converted to Pounds its approximatley £191.33, can you see anything thats missing as this would be the 1st time i've purchased anything from outside the UK and the last thing i need would be some hidden charges.

I have bought stuff from them in the past with no problems.
As long as you have paid German VAT you will not be charged duties over here.
We are all in the European Union!

Rod

I've purchased stuff from them also. One item was out-of-stock and I received an email asking if I wanted to wait and receive all the items together or have two shipments. I chose to wait and the package arrived within the 2 week time period estimated.

I notice they occasionally have special offers on Veritas items (last item was a leg vice) at attractive prices.

I'd use them again.

I've used them a few times, always cheaper than UK dealers and very good service. You need have no worries. If you phone them you'll find they can speak English too. :)

There MAY be an additional charge to add to your total (IF importing into UK is anything like importing into Switzerland). As someone has already said, if you've paid VAT in Germany you won't be charged twice (anyway I THINK the 2 country's rates are much the same - 19% & 20%) but based on my own experience it may happen that UK Customs & Excise may charge you import duty on top. There are all sorts of rules and regulations, based on the value of the shipment I think, but based on my own experience "the other way round" sometimes the Swiss charge me import duty, sometimes they don't. I THINK there is a UK Customs & Excise website that will explain all that (I've no link, sorry - Google).

Speaking in general terms, but as above, "the other way round", touch wood I've never had any problem with buying all sorts of stuff and importing it into Switzerland from UK, Australia, & the USA. The only thing to watch is that the company you're dealing with is trustworthy - personally I've had no dealings with Dieter Schmid but others have already said he's OK. So go for it if you like the price.

Krgds
AES

Switzerland is not a member of the EU - therein lies the difference I think. There are no extra VAT/duties that I've ever come across when importing from fellow EU countries to the UK or vice versa.

RogerP":14iacdtj said:
Switzerland is not a member of the EU - therein lies the difference I think. There are no extra VAT/duties that I've ever come across when importing from fellow EU countries to the UK or vice versa.

Ditto - it's not quite the same as the EU, but we're supposed to be 'in bloc' (IIRC the terminology) with a number of European countries (nearly but not quite the same set as the EU), which means we don't pay any duties on goods transferred between those countries.

Switzerland is part of the Schengen area, which means passport-free border transit, but not part of the customs bloc.

Thanks for all the replies and after reading all the replies they seem to be a reputable company so i've ordered the plane and its already been processed for shipping so hopefully i should recieve it by the middle of next week i'll keep you posted on how it turns out but if i do only pay £191 all in thats a significant saving over uk companies which are charging around £280

Just to update you all on how my experiance from buying from fine tools turned out, I recieved the plane this afternoon and it arrived well packaged and within the estimated delivery time, i ordered it Thursday evening its now wednesday so from Germany thats not bad and my main concern was hidden charges and i must say their where'nt any so all in it cost £204 and some pence thats including £4 charges from my card issuer so for any of you thinking of purchasing from Fine tools in germany don't be put off as its turned out to be around a £90 saving compared to here in th UK.

Back