Diamond sharpener for gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwalls26

Established Member
Reaction score
Quite by chance I came accross these which seem innovative. I don't really need one, but am always keen to refine sharpening . In the UK , Faithfull offer the same on Amazon for £50 ish. Any thoughts please? Anyone seen one? Would it work with incannel? I note that basic curved wedge diamond shapening slipstones also exist now.
This is a European example, no idea if they are available elsewhere other than Faithfull, there is a pdf at the foot of the page with more info: OUTLET | Diamond Wave diamond sharpener for gouges - Tendotools

Last edited:
This is from the Faithfull spec, which seems to point to woodturners:
FEATURES & SPECIFICATION
refinement_arrow.svg

The Faithfull Curved Diamond Whetstone is a uniquely shaped stone specially designed for the sharpening of wood turning tools and carving chisels. Its curved diamond surface lets you sharpen both concave and convex surfaces. The small end has a radius of approx. 3mm (1/8in) and tapers up to the large end with a radius of 28mm (1.1/8in).
The double sided steel stone is coated with mono crystalline diamond in 600G medium and 1200G fine grits. The 600G grit is for sharpening blunt edges and the 1200G grit is for final honing of the edge.
Can be used dry or with water as a lubricant, no oils are necessary.
Specification:
Size: 250 x 56 x 17mm

Never used one and known about them for years and decided they are not worth the money, for me anyway. To be able to use one you would need to know how to sharpen gouges on flats stones and with round slips. As the shape changes continuously along the length of the stone you can only use a small section of the stone which corresponds with the sweep of your gouge with very little longitude movement. Get it wrong and stray onto a bigger or smaller section and you will grind the corners of the gouge away. The best way of using it would be to find the correct fit between stone and gouge and rotate the tool back and forth. It is not possible to do the with the highest sweeps which are U shapes. I see that in the images of the pdf they show V parting tools these are defiantly not suitable to sharpen on the stone, nor some of the back bent gouges.

I would be interested to know anyone does use one and how they think they perform. Always happy to be proved wrong

Personally I would just invest in some nice diamond stones and diamond slips.

Thanks for that Sean. The diamond curves have been on the market since 2019 and I haven't been able to find any reviews, hence my post. I have checked reviews of the more basic Faithfull flat diamond plates which are sufficient to deter any purchase. I get on well with my Axminster Rider sharpening station (diamond) and find a Henry Taylor slipstone set (oil)very practical for use with woodcarving tools. The set includes the thin slipstone which I haven't used yet. I have acquired several other slipstones I must try. I too found it rather odd that Faithfull show large gouges whilst the Belgian pdf shows tiny woodcarving tools. It would appear they have just used stock images, again rather deters interest. Point taken about the irregular tapered honing shapes being more likely to damage than improve edges, thanks. Great to see there have been previous posts showing simpler and cheaper methods from within the forum.

Last edited:
Back