Diagonal decking project, working out quantity?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy61

Reaction score
As the description really, has anyone got any tips on working out decking quantity when being layed diagonally?

work out the deck area as sum of rectangles. Say 10 sq metres. Measure the laying pitch of your boards say 0.1 metres (100mm)
Divide one by the other 10/0.1 = 100m add on typical wastage factor plus a bit to allow for the angled cuts.

Just to add to the above.
Are you trying to cover the square frame/s in single lengths of decking? (ie no butt joints from front to back in the deck boards). If you are, work out the length of a single board running at 45 degrees and add at least 12" to it to allow for positioning and trimming off straight afterwards.
Have a look at what lengths your supplier has, it might work out less wastage going for a certain length of deck board. If your allowing joints in the deck boards then there will be a lot less wastage but be prepared to put in a lot more in the way of noggins/blocking so you can have some support and fixing where the boards join.

Having done a small deck with diagonal boards a little while ago I have to say it actually involves a little brain power over a standard straight brainless deck :D , I had to cut boards around handrail posts which complicated things a little.

Hth

When I did the last one a while ago, I just measure the area as has been said, you should be roughly the same amount,
The most important thing is to cut and lay the longest first, and work down to the shortest, After you've laid about
30% you ought to be able to start using the rather large pile of offcuts you have made!
Obviously when you have laid the first half, you will know exactly.
HTH Regards Rodders

Back