Dewalt Plunge Saw Owners. Question Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemsby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been cutting some large pieces of sheet today with my new Dewalt and generally am very pleased with it, however I have been having meaningful #-o discussions with the Dewalt technical department today regarding the rails.

When the saw is sat on the rail/rails it rocks side to side approximately 1mm in total. The slide adjustment is fine.

The cause is the extrusion is bowed, being convex on the top. I appreciate that the extrusion is quite wide and thin in section. Dewalt say that when the downward pressure is applied during cutting it “flattens” the extrusion. My thinking is each time a cut is made unless the same amount of pressure is exerted the “flattening” will vary, altering the blade position.

Not quite sure if they are just trying to avoid replacing the rails.

If your saw is correctly adjusted for the slide action is there any significant side rocking movement when the saw is sitting on the rail/rails :?:

Thank You

I can only speak to festool and parkside rails but there is abolutely no bow or rock and I would be very concerned if there was.

Rorschach":1t9x0o5f said:
I can only speak to festool and parkside rails but there is abolutely no bow or rock and I would be very concerned if there was.

I really had no doubts that there is a problem and do not have any issues confronting Dewalt. Just thought confirmation of my concerns would be nice.

Will call them again tomorrow hopefully speak to another agent and just insist they replace the rails or I will return the complete package.

Thanks for your input

Maybe they think there is a bow along then length rather than across the width? I would think that is fairly common and they would be right in saying it isn't an issue. A misunderstanding maybe?

Rorschach":s5urgbpr said:
Maybe they think there is a bow along then length rather than across the width? I would think that is fairly common and they would be right in saying it isn't an issue. A misunderstanding maybe?

I anticipated that before my telephone conversation and emphasised it was side to side.

Hemsby":26af9dl9 said:
Rorschach":26af9dl9 said:

I anticipated that before my telephone conversation and emphasised it was side to side.

Ahh ok. Well good luck with it :)

Spoke to Dewalt again this morning, very helpful and courteous and we were both singing from the same hymn sheet regarding the problem =D>

Because they were not convinced if it was the saw or rails they wanted to arrange collection by a service centre for inspection.

Ok so far.

I contacted the appointed service centre to arrange collection, during the call it became apparent that not only was there going to be a delay due to pickup/delivery they were very busy so could be best part of 7-10 days before I saw it returned #-o. The best was to come I thought it was inspection for Dewalts benefit followed by the replacement of either the saw or tracks, possible both. Short conversation that was.

Them:- No we will repair it :shock:
Me:- Oh no you wont.

Then phoned Mytoolshed who supplied the Saw explained the situation. Collecting on Monday replacement on Tuesday. Result

Hemsby":3g8nn216 said:
Hi,

I have been cutting some large pieces of sheet today with my new Dewalt and generally am very pleased with it, however I have been having meaningful #-o discussions with the Dewalt technical department today regarding the rails.

When the saw is sat on the rail/rails it rocks side to side approximately 1mm in total. The slide adjustment is fine.

The cause is the extrusion is bowed, being convex on the top. I appreciate that the extrusion is quite wide and thin in section. Dewalt say that when the downward pressure is applied during cutting it “flattens” the extrusion. My thinking is each time a cut is made unless the same amount of pressure is exerted the “flattening” will vary, altering the blade position.

Not quite sure if they are just trying to avoid replacing the rails.

If your saw is correctly adjusted for the slide action is there any significant side rocking movement when the saw is sitting on the rail/rails :?:

Thank You

VIDEO CLIP

Very short clip of the issue with my Dewalt Plunge Saw.

https://youtu.be/xxtYBho8UxQ

Packed and ready for return

(Video may take a few seconds to load)

I have the DW track saw and there's definitely no movement on mine. That said, I never liked the DeWalt rails much and now run it on Festool track. Which it does perfectly and I can use the rails with my router and jigsaw too.

Cheers
Simon.

Thank you for the replies.

Faulty unit and rails collected today. When it arrives on Wednesday I hope the replacement is ok or back it goes #-o

Latest posts

Back