Dewalt DW745 Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewR86

Reaction score
Hi guys,
After much research I finally bit the bullet and purchased the DW745. Upon unboxing the table had been scratched badly but worse than that it wasn’t flat. Up to 2mm in some places. Got a replacement and then when unboxing it was worse. Plug was broke, table badly scratched, screws broken off in the holes. And to make things worse, the table was out as much as 3mm in some places.

The damage issues aside, am I expecting too much to get a table with tighter flatness tolerances from a job site saw?? For the work I’m doing now I don’t think it will matter, just I hate the idea of paying for something that isn’t up to standard.

Appreciate your input!!

No you aren't expecting too much, my DW745 is extremely accurate for a site saw.
My saw came double boxed and in perfect condition so there shouldn't be a reason why yours in damaged.
Where are you buying it from?

Came from amazon. Box wasn’t damaged which is the frustrating thing.

Weirdly enough I’m still keen to get one as they seem like a great piece of kit. It’s the table flatness that is concerning me. Any idea what deviation of flatness you have with yours?

When my cordless version came I was very impressed at the way in which it was packed in the DeWalt box and it survived the journey from the Far East in pristine condition. Table top was dead-on flat and unmarked.

Was your saw bought from Amazon Warehouse? I ask because it sounds like it could be a customer return.

In any case you have been sent a wrong’un and Amazon’s returns policy is one of the best, send it back.

I've had a look at the table on mine and its out by less than 1mm across the full width in either direction but I did notice it was only out because the edges are ever so slightly higher than the center.
For the work I do, I don't envisage any issues with accuracy.

I had three DW745. The first one had a tiny scratch on the corners of the tabletop. It was before I realised that the top will quickly become covered in such things. The box it came in was open and I wasn't sure if it was a return (they put some saw blades in the box and with hindsight it would have been better to order them separately to be sure). Dewalt replaced it and it was bought from FFX. The second one was perfect and they are all flat too IMHO, but because of the way I setup the table saw insert in it failed within an hour. It was probably my "fault" but Dewalt again provided a replacement unit from FFX. So my advice is to keep rejecting it until you are sure it's OK and not a return (they are good value but nevertheless not cheap).

Just before the first year of the warranty (three years if it's bought with a CE mark and registered with a few weeks) I again broke the table insert. It seems that the lug that's at the back is "designed" to break (snap) in preference to the lugs on the table saw worktop (renders the machine uneconomic to repair). Again Dewalt provided a repair to the service agent the next day for free. This time, I got the service agent to set it up. So far it's been good and I'm not inclined to fiddle with it.

The service agent commented that a repair in the first year can be signed off at a service centre by the agent, but one after a year requires more customer effort e.g. they are more inclined to charge for repairs if they can link the failure to wear and tear. It's a good table saw and the fence in particularly is super stable. Freud 60T blades work very well too. I think I understand how the insert works to not break it now (avoid putting it under any form of tension including if you are pressing down on the workpiece). If they had a zero clearance insert then I would buy one but there are many examples on youtube on how to make one including using a yellow chopping board. Other colours are available...

Back