Dewalt cordless combo drill slipping out of hammer action

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calum Bettison

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Currently using my trusty DCD796, which has been a dream to use for several years. Need to drill a load of holes using hammer function but for some reason the torque collar just wont stay on hammer. Within a second or two of use it slips over to drill setting. Never had this issue in the past.

Anyone had this issue and discovered a remedy for the problem?

IMG_4389.jpg

I imagine that would hold it in place, the collar is rubber and I suppose if the clip bridged the collar and the main body it should hold tight. I'll give it a go, thanks.

Although I think you might be along the right lines, it does feel as though some inner gubbins is nearing the end of its life.

Had a similar issue with my 796 but instead of it slipping out of torque it got stuck on hammer; got it fixed under warranty and then a year r more later the chuck got stuck and difficult to open& close. So then I bought a newer brushes model and still use that daily. The 796 was a good drill for about 4 - 5 years; maybe it's time for a new drill !

Find the exploded diagram for the tool. Study it to see what holds the collar in any one place.

Dismantle, clean, examine, relubricate, reasemble. It will not be any worse. It may fix the problem.

It may show you a worn part that could be repaired/bodged. For example, if it is a ball detent keeping the collar located, maybe it is worn in the hammer position (plausible as there is more vibration in that mode).

Do not use the next one as a hammer drill. But some Bosch multimaterial bits for drilling hard stuff or an SDS drill if pickin' up good vibrations give you excitations.

I had to replace the chuck on two of mine over the years due to wear and tear but they were being used professionally and hammered ( excuse the pun). ;) I don't remember them being excessively expensive though with discounts it's sometimes cheaper to buy a new bare drill without the batteries if yours are good.

For hobby use, if the Jubilee clip works then that is probably the way forward.

EDIT
gearbox assembly around £42 and you can get the drill, bare for around £70 - £75

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40171682...KTLZBztS4mqGRAl2UPRoCLc0QAvD_BwE&toolid=20006

Last edited:
Currently using my trusty DCD796, which has been a dream to use for several years. Need to drill a load of holes using hammer function but for some reason the torque collar just wont stay on hammer. Within a second or two of use it slips over to drill setting. Never had this issue in the past.

View attachment 178521
Dean Doherty on You Tube has done a few videos on this model which might be helpful to you. Here is one example:

View attachment 178521

Back