Desk making for a newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravers007

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm as much as beginner at woodworking as one can be, but after buying my first place I'd like to be able to make bespoke items rather than spend a small fortune on buying them! Plus I'd love the satisfaction from knowing that i made something!

I've been reading online and watching youtube videos to try and learn as much as I can, and want to get underway by making a desk (I cant post the link but its on the site "Homemade Haven" and its a "Farmhouse X Desk")

Being a total novice I have a few questions, however, despite looking online I can't seem to see the answers anywhere!

1. To join the piece of wood together the guide suggests pocket screws. However, the Kreg pocket screw jig seems fairly expensive (around £65). I was thinking that I instead could use a dowelling jig to join pieces together. It'd be great to hear feedback on this and peoples thoughts on what the best course of action would be.

2. To make the desktop the guide suggests getting several planks & attaching to each other using pocket holes. However, it makes no mention of whether the planks need to be jointed so they sit flush. Is there a particular kind of wood i should be looking that don't need jointing? Or would i need to (or be better off) getting a cheaper wood and perhaps jointing with a router?

3. In terms of tools, I have the basics (drill & bits, spirit level, squaring tool, measuring tape, etc.) I'm sure I need more, but I'm not sure what exactly! Specifically:

- which clamps & how many do i need? there seem to be an infinite amount of choice and am at a bit of a loss as to where to start!
- As mentioned above i was thinking of getting a router (and perhaps a router table) as its versatile and can be used to joint the wood for the desk top. Is this a wise move or would my money be best spent elsewhere?
- As a general query on power tools, I was thinking of buying a reputed brand (like dewalt, makita brand) second hand. Is this wise or should I just buy a cheaper one second hand?

If you've made it this far thanks very much for taking the time to read, and I'd appreciate any advice that can be given. :)

I am sure someone who is far more experienced on here will come along shortly. However, one word of warning, youtube, guide etc do make thing look very easy. YouTubers, will (generally) cut out a lot if not all of there mistakes...

I would say that building a desk is not the easiest of projects to start on. I started will some kids play room storage, the to floating shelves and a floating media centre (box with doors). That being said, the desk isn't over complex in terms of structure, what will be the most challenging is jointing the boards and getting a flat top.....

1 - IMHO Dowels are a far better way to join boards together. However, if the boards aren't jointed well nothing will hides it.
2 - Boards will need to be jointed - you could get a saw mill to do this? and the use the dowels
3 - planes, some sort of sander, and probably a track saw (forget the router for now unless you have used power tools a lot).

Hi and welcome.

I agree that dowels are much better than pocket holes for a permanent join. But you can use glue instead if you can get the edges flat and true. There is a wonderful and detailed guide to edge jointing by Custard, (a terrific furniture maker who graces us with his presence and advice) here:
how-to-edge-joint-t112936.html

But it isn't the easiest thing to start on as already mentioned. Most people start by making their workbench, for three reasons. First it is an easier project, because it doesn't have to look so smart and perfect and is going to get beat up a bit in use. Second, it will introduce you to many of the skills and techniques that you will need for desk making. Finally, it will be much easier to build your desk if you have a good workbench.

There are several designs for benches available and guides on building them, e.g. Paul Sellars, Hayward design, Nicholson design, and several detailed threads on here showing the stages of build.

If you can't manage without a desk in the meantime, get something cheap but practical from Ikea.

Welcome to the world of woodwork!

Keith

Lots of things to go wrong with jointing boards and and some not your fault so run the risk of a showcase project display the issues of a warped top and worst still splits.
For a beginner, I would suggest veneered MDF for the top and carcase of the drawer units and lip all the raw edges with hardwood strips.

Wow! Thanks so much for all the great advice! Perhaps I am biting off more than I can chew with going for a desk as my first piece. Thanks very much for the advice on getting a veneered top - I had considered that, but have my heart set on it being all solid wood. The alternative to jointing panels was to buy a leftover solid piece of wood worktop (people are always selling them on Facebook & Ebay after doing kitchen renovations).

I love the idea of making my own workbench! Great idea! I'll defo look at those designs during my lunch break today :)

I'll have a look at track saws tonight, make a list of those with the best ratings and see if i can snag one second hand.

Thanks again :)

You could use furniture board. Solid wood stave joined, glued and sanded ready to use. Usually only available in pine.
Remember to seal both faces to reduce warping risk.

Back