DecorativePlace-mats for the table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Some years SWMBO bought a couple of sets of place-mats from Trago Mills in Cornwall. Considering the time we have been using them they have served well for what they cost.

I have some sheet cork lying around, and I had the idea of making some replacements from 4mm MDF, and using some of my own photographs, touched up in Photoshop, as a topside decoration.

The only problem is finish. I know these things are usually printed onto the mats, but I don't think MDF will go around my platen. :roll:

So, does anyone know anything about gluing photographs to board please? And of course, a finish I can apply afterwards. Obviously, I need something that will protect the images from heat and spillage, etc. Or is it a stupid idea to begin with? :oops:

Cheers
John

A few years back a company called Happy Snaps who I believe are all over the country made 30 table mats for me with pictures of oil rigs heat sealed onto cork they were heat and alcohol resistant and cost £4.50 each, you get your original pictures back because they are laser printed on.
I know you want to do them yourself, but it was very cheap.

Dom

Hi Dom,

Thanks for that. I will look into it. It sounds just the job. Naturally I would like to do them myself, but the images will be my own so I am happy.

Come to think of it, alcohol resistence sounds good. I can see myself routing out a few coasters too. (Always prefer circular coasters, but I suppose I could go for elliptical too.) :eek:ccasion5:

:D

Back