Decorated Platter De-Brief

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
It has been discussed whether this is required for sharing experiences and techniques used in the preceding months challenge. So here it is to put to the test.

This thread is open to all and particularly non entrants of all abilities who are following our efforts.

Any questions etc please ask away.

This is not a thread for critique. Members wanting to have their work critiqued should use a separate thread.

Hi Colin,

As you know, I have a high speed air tool and a Dremel which I use for texturing and piercing. It would be interesting to know what bits you used in your tools to do the carving on your platter. It is a rotary tool or a carving one?

I just have some small ball cutters and its difficult to get a smooth result when trying to carve out or flatten an area like the sections on the attached wotsit that I am playing with at the moment.

Attachments

• 100_2527.jpg
    100_2527.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 985
i have a similar question for mr colin woodspoiler, what kinda tool/s was used for the carving of the pattern and of the edge of the platter?
i had a quick google of foredom tools and there are quite a few to choose from.

Sorry for the delay in getting back chaps - had the temerity to escape for the day!

In response to the questions about what tools I have been using in my Foredom (Dremel) type tool, they fall into different groups for the different tasks in hand.

The "best" ones are the Typhoon burrs. The Red are the aggressive and the Blue the less so. These babies make short work of wood and I am sure the same would be found if you decided to put your fingers in the way. These are what are used for removing lots of material fairly quickly. Each of these can cost as much as a standard chisel. There are lots of options but the price tends to limit the collection. I have tried a couple of Dura-Grit ones but not found them as good or effective as the Typhoon Burrs

DSC01315.jpg

The finer detailing is achieved using the variety of metal burrs. They can be aggressive so I tend to start undersize and go up if needed rather than the other way around

DSC01312.jpg

And even finer

DSC01313.jpg

To answer Gordon's specific query the flat finish is achieved using these cutters which are in effect milling

DSC01318.jpg

And then to finish ...

DSC01314.jpg

If you look closely on the right hand side you will see the three blue stones for refining in those hard to get to places

If you want more detail I can do - but don't want to bore unnecessarily. Better to answer individual issues.

Colin, are these cutters and bits part of the fordom package when you buy,or are they bought seperatly.

REgards Boysie

boysie39":1ebcy8fo said:
Colin, are these cutters and bits part of the fordom package when you buy,or are they bought seperatly.

REgards Boysie

TheForedom comes with a few of each including about 3 of the typhoon burrs, but it has been supplemented by what is shown quite a bit.

Trouble is until you start using the things you don't know what you need etc.

Quite a learning curve as no handy forum for what I have been doing. All a bit trial and error.

Latest posts

Back