Deco'ish door finally hung

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
After much struggle I have finally finished my back door and a half which leads into my hall and workshop. The extra half is to allow for machinery and work.

I based the design on a German original but the diagonal rails are not radial which causes a series of headaches with the curved and scribed tenon shoulders. I have also had to cut and weld the hardware to allow the unusually low handle at 950mm.

All that remains is to clean it up glaze it after Sikkens. the glazing is triple K glass argon filled wicvh gives a heat loss of only 0.75 watts/mm2/deg C

Modernist":263jv9is said:
I based the design on a German original

That's very nice. Whenever I've been to Germany, I've been quite impressed with the designs of many of the doors I've seen - and their front doors on houses often seem much wider than ours.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Johnboy":2vvwa1cn said:
Didn't know you lived in a stable Dom.

Neigh lad, Neigh.

DSCI0016.jpg

:)

Thanks for all the support and kind words guys. It's really appreciated.

A few notes on the construction

The sections are standard European 100 x 68 and I used Columbian Pine, as you can see, as it weathers well for external joinery. In an unguarded moment I decided to self mould the outside and this lead to some brain teasing moments on the oblique, curved and scribed tenon shoulders! the circular sections were moulded on a ring fence with the spindle inclined for the glazing bead and the inner beads were routed with a home made trammel. The scribed mouldings on the diagonal rails were trammel routed using a 15 degree dovetail cutter.

I lightened the central stiles as, even with the extensive rebates I thought they may be a little heavy, but this lead to problems finding suitable hardware. I have just made it with the lock mortice almost breaking through the centre stile. there is supposed to be a central weather strip which would make the centre stiles appear even but I may not now have room for this.

The fielded panels are cored with 25mm PU foam bonded with a centre strip of adhesive on each panel to allow for movement and the boards themselves loose rebated together. these should be even more insulated than the triple glazed panels. Don't even think how much I was charged for triple glazed, toughened, argon filled K glass in a semicircle!!

Because of the inner rebate, on-set on to the frame, I had to use euro hinges with a 17mm upstand. These are really sturdy and can handle up to a 120Kg door.

All in all it has been a very difficult learning curve, largely due to the special hardware requirements. I sourced the original gear in Germany, whilst on a visit, but since use Wagner in the UK who import German and Italian gear.

Weather permitting I'll get them finished off and glazed this weekend and move on to the next project, cherry mirror frames and washstands - I'm looking forward to some more straightforward work.

Brian

Latest posts

Back