Decided which new lathe. Now what ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
OK. So I have finally decided on the Axi 1628 for my new ( first ) lathe. The questions now are which chuck ( sort of leaning towards the Evolution but no real reason why ) and which jaws.

What do you think ? and why ?

i have to nova chucks and love them even consed buy a third i think they are a nice simple chuck with a good range of jaws

Doug B":1lcrnoy5 said:
Versa chuck, because I hate undoing screws on a chuck & jaw carriers make changing jaws so quick.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks_ ... chuck.html

Like Alex I also have a Nova, excellent chuck but my pin jaws stop on that one now I have the Versa.

now one of them is tempting but they are not cheap once you add it all up nova have a new system that has no screws

I have to say that I find the variety of jaws and sizes available for chucks to be quite confusing. I really don't know what I need.

Our club recently bought a Patriot chuck and I've found it to be excellent and it has better concentricity than some of the cheaper chucks out there.

Another vote for the patriot chuck here....only downside is the different jaws add up on the pennies!!!!

bellringer":14i4gbzc said:
it depends what u want to do

I knew someone was going to say that :)

Short answer is. I don't know.
I am retired and it will be for a hobby. Mostly I want to learn how to use it and enter the monthly challenge, and that covers lots of different things.

I am thinking......
Evolution chuck...... expensive compared to others recommended here but it is stainless steel and my workshop is only heated when I am in it. Thoughts ?
I set of jaws to grip a spigot for bowls etc to start with and get others if really needed, Or maybe 2 sets, one large one small ? Thoughts ?

Hello Grahamshed,
Mines a Patriot in a shed only heated when i"m in it and in 5 years the chuck has no rust on it,,,I throw a couple of sheets over the lathe when i have finished,,,I use it quite a bit and that helps to keep it shiny.
The 2inch jaws it came with have done bowls up to 10inch dia; ,,the screw chuck bit has held some 6in by 6in dia; blanks.
I go along with nev in trying to strike a deal when buying the lathe.
,,,,,,,,joe,,,

The chuck will fit. I have the same lathe I bought first week of November. I also bought an evolution 114 chuck and jaws which I have yet to take out of the box. For preference I use faceplates. and got a set (3 sizes of these) all of which have been used. Incidentally if you make a tiny mortice for the faceplates they hold much better and can easily be re fitted fairly true to the lathe without the need of much in the way of screws. To make the mortice I remove about 1/8" (3-4mm) with the bowl gauge to about 1/4" of the correct diametre. If you eyeball through the faceplate is easy to make a mark then spin the workpiece to make a circle. To get a square edge I then bore the mortice using the parting tool not quite square to the face, angle the handle away from you to bore with a little bit of clearance for the tool. This technique is probably all wrong but for the past few days I have thrown all the books out of the window and am just doing what feels right :)

woodfarmer":36uvoy1f said:
The chuck will fit. I have the same lathe I bought first week of November. I also bought an evolution 114 chuck and jaws which I have yet to take out of the box. For preference I use faceplates. and got a set (3 sizes of these) all of which have been used. Incidentally if you make a tiny mortice for the faceplates they hold much better and can easily be re fitted fairly true to the lathe without the need of much in the way of screws. To make the mortice I remove about 1/8" (3-4mm) with the bowl gauge to about 1/4" of the correct diametre. If you eyeball through the faceplate is easy to make a mark then spin the workpiece to make a circle. To get a square edge I then bore the mortice using the parting tool not quite square to the face, angle the handle away from you to bore with a little bit of clearance for the tool. This technique is probably all wrong but for the past few days I have thrown all the books out of the window and am just doing what feels right :)

chucks are much better for hold some thing as there can be a lot of waste using a face plate

bellringer":1orp1ix3 said:
chucks are much better for hold some thing as there can be a lot of waste using a face plate

Hi

Screw a disc of MDF onto the face plate and use as a glue chuck = zero additional waste :)

Scroll chucks are great and I wouldn't be without mine, however there's always another way to 'skin the cat'.

Regards Mick

Back