Decent UK Plywood Suppliers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who provides the best standard ply?

• Total voters
Reaction score
This seems to be a perennial question, but for general usage (ie workshop cabinets, unexposed faces in other projects), who do you find to supply the more consistent products? I'm not thinking of baltic birch, or marine ply, but what I'd call "good faced hardwood ply". I've chosen a selection of suppliers who I believe are nationwide, and provide an array of products. I'll add any other suppliers I've missed if the edit feature allows that.

This is primarily for delivered, small quantity orders, like less than 5 sheets.

By timber world I am assuming you mean Arnold Lavers, Timbmet are fine as well, International timber are the same group as Jewsons (SGG) so Jewsons will supply the good stuff if you ask them to but don`t always hold stock of it.
For furniture I wouldn`t get anything except birch ply.

Ollie

Start of lockdown Wickes did some lovely ply birch like in colour and equal in ply's, I put 4 sheets in my camper van lovely stuff.

Not seen anything like it since in Wickes. Most is popular with a thin red fake ply to hide it!

By timber world I am assuming you mean Arnold Lavers, Timbmet are fine as well, International timber are the same group as Jewsons (SGG) so Jewsons will supply the good stuff if you ask them to but don`t always hold stock of it.
For furniture I wouldn`t get anything except birch ply.

Ollie

I wish I had the budget for birch, but at the moment as it’s just for shop projects I can’t justify the price. I’m a bit of a newbie still.

I’m aware I’m after a unicorn supplier, decent price, product and reasonable delivery costs.

You won't find (as a general rule) furniture quality Birch Ply at any of the DIY stores or from most builder's merchants. They tend to trade in structural external (WBP) and interior cladding ply for the building trade. There's be a semi-local timber supplier in most urbanised areas where you can get your quality timbers from. For sheet materials for example, I use Timbmet. With a trade account, it's gone up from £87/sheet (18mm Grade A/B Russian long grain birch ply) to around £120/sheet in the past 18 months but that's cheap compared to a lot of suppliers!

I wish I had the budget for birch, but at the moment as it’s just for shop projects I can’t justify the price. I’m a bit of a newbie still.

I’m aware I’m after a unicorn supplier, decent price, product and reasonable delivery costs.

If you get B grade birch it's cheaper, the structure is exactly the same it's just that they allow patches in the face veneer. For most stuff it's still fine. They might even do a C grade.
You could try Wisa twin which is spruce core with birch outer layers. Jewsons will get it if you want.

Almost all the far Eastern hardwood ply from wickes etc is garbage and full of voids and uneven layers etc.
In my opinion it's a false economy to get the rubbish stuff as its wastage is higher and you will need to do more "corrective" work to get a decent result.
For stuff that is purely functional you could go with OSB or MR MDF.

Ollie

You won't find (as a general rule) furniture quality Birch Ply at any of the DIY stores or from most builder's merchants. They tend to trade in structural external (WBP) and interior cladding ply for the building trade. There's be a semi-local timber supplier in most urbanised areas where you can get your quality timbers from. For sheet materials for example, I use Timbmet. With a trade account, it's gone up from £87/sheet (18mm Grade A/B Russian long grain birch ply) to around £120/sheet in the past 18 months but that's cheap compared to a lot of suppliers!

Thanks, I've emailed Timbmet to ask about accounts for DIY. I guess as I'm going to be getting smaller quantities it makes economy of scale difficult. I'll keep my fingers crossed the world sorts itself out and the good stuff comes down in price.

If you get B grade birch it's cheaper, the structure is exactly the same it's just that they allow patches in the face veneer. For most stuff it's still fine. They might even do a C grade.
You could try Wisa twin which is spruce core with birch outer layers. Jewsons will get it if you want.

Almost all the far Eastern hardwood ply from wickes etc is garbage and full of voids and uneven layers etc.
In my opinion it's a false economy to get the rubbish stuff as its wastage is higher and you will need to do more "corrective" work to get a decent result.
For stuff that is purely functional you could go with OSB or MR MDF.

Ollie

Thanks, I'll email my local Jewsons and ask for some quotes on some lower grade Birch.

Thanks, I've emailed Timbmet to ask about accounts for DIY. I guess as I'm going to be getting smaller quantities it makes economy of scale difficult. I'll keep my fingers crossed the world sorts itself out and the good stuff comes down in price.

Thanks, I'll email my local Jewsons and ask for some quotes on some lower grade Birch.
Cool, the Wisa twin is pretty good too, I used to use it a lot.

Todays OSB fron builders merchants is rubbish. Just had some 12mm delivered. Once each face was covered in wide strips giving a slightly uneven surface, but "solid". New stuff has about 25% "solid" coverage, the rest is splintery core exposed, so peppered with quite deep holes. Premium price of course!

Todays plywood is a far cry from what we used to get. Even so called exterior is all but useless, made in the far east of poplar or eucalyptus with a thin red surface veneer, most of it appears to be stuck together with wallpaper paste & lasts about as long.
We used to have Silvermans near here but they got taken over by Timbmet, then minimum order came in of ten sheets. That cut all the small buyers out straight away.
I have bought marine ply from local supplier Leigh Timber company who have always been good but cant say how long their latest stuff will last.
Only guaranteed supplier is Robbins ltd of Bristol, proper high quality marine ply, but best be sitting down when you see the prices.

This seems to be a perennial question, but for general usage (ie workshop cabinets, unexposed faces in other projects), who do you find to supply the more consistent products? I'm not thinking of baltic birch, or marine ply, but what I'd call "good faced hardwood ply". I've chosen a selection of suppliers who I believe are nationwide, and provide an array of products. I'll add any other suppliers I've missed if the edit feature allows that.

This is primarily for delivered, small quantity orders, like less than 5 sheets.
Hello,
I have always found Travis Perkins to have the best 19mm exterior ply. They have it in different grades and finishes. My experience is that is is consistently good, without voids.
Regards

Back