Furniture plywood supplier, Somerset/North Devon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ_T

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been bumping into some really fantastic looking plywood furniture on the net, and I need a large desk, so I thought I'd have a go.

I have made speaker enclosures from marine ply I bought it Wickes, but I don't think this would be up to the task.

From research I need a complete birch or beech throughout, hopefully voidless ply. Can anyone recommend a supplier around Taunton/Somerset please?

I have Travis Perkins and other builders merchants who I'll visit Saturday, but I don't imagine they'll have quite what I'm looking for.

Thank you for your time,

Russ

50 miles further away, but Robbins in Bristol do some high grade, high price ply aimed at boat builders and are very good in my experience. Avon Plywood at Keynsham are also good, for less exotic stuff.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the help. I think my skill level probably means I don't want to go overkill in ply terms, I was aiming to produce something along these lines

(argh it won't let me post links)

I just don't want to be ripped off by B&Q or make something that would be better suited in my garage and not an office :)

Cheers

Totem timber in Plymouth stocked some excellent Birch ply the last time I was there and at a reasonable price, but that may be too far away.

Thank you, that place in Exeter looks good and does flooring as well (we're in need of some) so I'll check them out. I could get a 6mm birch from Wickes though and glue that to something cheaper possibly.

I see they have some nice veneered plys as well...

Argh too many options :)

always nice to meet a fellow tauntonian on here!

a few places to try that might be cheaper and are quite nice to look around.

http://www.tauntontimber.co.uk/

this place is on the same trading estate as bathwick tires and roman glass i think? near the volvo dealership. i went in here recently and they have quite a large assortment of hardwood, softwood and sheet materials.

http://www.wereeco.com/

i only discovered this place recently there on the trading estate in creech St.Michael. i bought some nice bits of birch faced ply very cheap. they only really have softwood and sheet materials but its quite an interesting project they have going on. As all materials are recycled from building sites etc.

please let me know if you require any more info!

adidat

Right on your doorstep - Somerset Panel Centre (see website) in Taunton, opposite Screwfix

Very helpful when I've been there

They'll also cut and edge it as well if required

Cheers,
Graham

Adidat and Graham, brilliant, thank you!

I have used Taunton Timber a lot for my outside wood (raised beds and such) and I'll check out WereEco on the weekend. I have found that Westwood fencing (http://www.westwoodfencing.com/) are a bit better on price though (I think).

Yes I'm in Screwfix about twice a week and never spotted them! I'll see what they have, but I'm considering a spray finish and MDF, I need to keep the costs down somehow and have a lot of office furniture to make, it'll save me buying new router bits as well.

I'll pop in there at lunch and have a good nose around.

Are there any Taunton woodworking clubs? I'm quite novice but my gf is sick to death of me trying to bounce ideas off her, I'm thinking something informal in the pub for an hour a month...

I'll post up pics of everything I've found soon as I reach 10 posts here.

Thanks again!

Russ_T":536gj8e3 said:
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the help. I think my skill level probably means I don't want to go overkill in ply terms, I was aiming to produce something along these lines

(argh it won't let me post links)

I just don't want to be ripped off by B&Q or make something that would be better suited in my garage and not an office :)

Cheers

Devon Hardwoods near Sidmouth are always very helpful.

Russ_T":2ry2vxee said:
In case anyone is bored/interested, here is my collection of ideas for my office fit out ... although looking at it I might even use it for shelves in my kitchen ...

http://www.pinterest.com/russtayloruk/p ... furniture/

Cheers

I don't know if this is of interest to you Russ_T but I came across a video series on youtube some time ago.
The guy (askwoodman) does a series of videos on plywood furniture and box making, and shows some of his previous work including an office desk and kitchen units.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW52SHNp6iY

That's brilliant, thank you Richard.

I spent a little time in Sketchup this weekend designing my office furniture. I need to figure out how to make some strong floating shelves but otherwise it's coming along.

OfficeBox.png

Attachments

• OfficeBox.png
    OfficeBox.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 2,665
I cant help thinking some plywood uprights on the shelfs would look better and make the books look neater/more organised rather than one big row of jumbled up books. Also this would give you more support. You could go as far as making up whole boxes and hanging them on the wall.

Adidat

+1 to what Adidat said.

Also, think carefully about the corners of your L-shaped shelves - you get an inaccessible square of dead space there, unless you put uprights or bookends at the ends of the straight parts, leaving the corners clear for things such as speakers or pot plants.

That's what I designed last night! I was aiming for that (I am not too sure on the floating shelves capacity) but couldn't get it to look right. Good point on the dead corners and yes I could do with some better speaker space than either side close to the monitor.

I'll stick up another drawing later for some critique :)

Thanks guys!

Back