decent timber + decent camera =

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
its amazing what difference a decent lump of wood and a decent camera (and photographer :oops: ) makes to the outcome of an item.
i made this bowl for my brother as a small thank you gift for some roger waters tickets he gave us and he just sent some pics over.
it was one of the first items i made using a 'proper' bought bowl blank, as opposed to something ive cut down/ found/ run over or been given.
made almost entirely with two scrapers, 1 flat, 1 round and finished with 100 - 600 grit paper and a wax polish.
and i must admit i am quite proud of it :D seeing as ive only been turning since xmas.
so i'd thought i'd take the plunge and share it with you guys :shock:
c and c welcome.

Attachments

• walnut bowl 2.jpg
    walnut bowl 2.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 799
  • walnut2.jpg
    walnut2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 799
  • walnut3.jpg
    walnut3.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 799
  • walnut bowl.jpg
    walnut bowl.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 799
  • walnut bowl7.jpg
    walnut bowl7.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 799
  • walnut bowl 5.jpg
    walnut bowl 5.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 799
Hi Nev,

There is nothing at all wrong with that bowl very good, one of my favorite tools is a scrapper.

Spasm

Lovely bowl, well done.

There's nothing wrong with scrapers, it's the end-result that counts.

Hi Nev,
Nice looking bowl you've got there. Like others have said, don't worry about using scrapers (if you wern't meant to use them, they wouldn't sell the bl**dy things would they :lol: )

Dave

Well done Nev, looks like you and your scrapers did a good job :D You can turn with what you like as long as the finished product looks good and this does.

Very nice work and encouraging to hear that someone else likes using scrapers.

nev":1icsh5v0 said:
its amazing what difference a decent lump of wood and a decent camera (and photographer :oops: ) makes to the outcome of an item.

file.php

The scale of the grain is a very good fit with the size of the item.

BugBear

loz":2e51fm2f said:
Very nice Nev, can we see her bum ?

I'll ask him to take one, at the moment this is as close as ive got...

walnut hat.jpg

he looks like a bum, but he's quite well off actually :D

the bottom profile is a smooth curve from rim to base where the dovetail recess (about 2mm) is for the chuck.

thanks for positive comments chaps, as for the use of the scrapers, i think i got into the habit of using them cos they were the easiest to sharpen :oops:
been playing with the skew this week and i can see that if i can get the hang of it i'll save a fortune in sandpaper :)

Attachments

• walnut hat.jpg
    walnut hat.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 603
Back