Decent nationwide Softwood Supplier?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sitefive

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah me again with my never-ending quest to find a good softwood supplier in this country :(
So Far thanks to this forum I have found Snows Timber ( ~£500 min order)
and internationaltimber.com ( £600 min order) which both seem to have ''ok'' prices for the quality compared to my local places.

Anyone can list some other decent joinery quality softwood suppliers that cover and deliver to most of the UK like those 2 do?
Thanks.

ColeyS1":1deazemp said:
Jewsons

Coley

haha mate,The title included the name ''decent'' that means good value for money, and that shack certainly isn't one.
I can google myself that's not the point ,everyone says on their website that they are the best at everything when 99% of the time it's not the case at all Hence This post- Asking other people for Decent suppliers which people from this forum are actually using.

sitefive":6ftj6szf said:
ColeyS1":6ftj6szf said:
Jewsons

Coley

haha mate,The title included the name ''decent'' that means good value for money, and that shack certainly isn't one.
I can google myself that's not the point ,everyone says on their website that they are the best at everything when 99% of the time it's not the case at all Hence This post- Asking other people for Decent suppliers which people from this forum are actually using.
Never had a problem with jewsons for price and quality -if it's not good enough I don't accept it and put it back on the lorry.

Coley

Have you tried Brooks Bros timber? They have a branch in Washington.

Jewsons are actually part of international timber as both are in the Saint Gobain group, although Jewsons are geared towards the construction trade.

I know it sounds odd, but try Travis Perkins. The price they do me is same as Lavers, yet a sheet of 25mm MDF is £50 :shock: In fact it might just be the only product they sell at a competitive price, no minimum order either.

Travis perkins and jewsons both work for me for softwood. I tend to go and choose my own timber as i have a big van to bring it back. Can't fault them for this timber, but get my sheet material from Lathams.

Having a look at travis perkins online product range all they seem to stock are just building material timber and the odd size in joinery stuff.
I have had a quotes few times from Jewsons as they are very close to me and their prices were just ridiculous for the limited range of sizes they have.

Groundhog day.
What exactly is it you are looking for sitefive? What are you making? What's wrong with Snows and all the other excellent suppliers mentioned above?

I'd heartily back my old employer Howarth Timber, they own their own dock on the humber (which I'm told is the largest dedicated timber terminal in the UK) and their importers & sawmills (ArborForest Products) supply a lot smaller merchants along with several national chains.

Depending how much you wanted and what facilities you have to accept and offload packs you could buy direct from Arbor, or go through a local Howarth branch or their national "Howarth Online".

They do all conceivable types and grades of softwood sourced from right across Siberia, the Russian near East, Scandinavia and the Baltic. They are also one of the few places I know which will (for a price) sell packs of the higher grades with a commercial guarantee (Indeed whilst in their employ I spent quite a while sorting packs to fill an order of "Clears Only" redwood mouldings ex 350*50 in 4.8m lengths, which was an experience not soon forgotten).

phil.p":4rg28e0j said:
The year's nearly out. Had to happen once. :D
Yes it has been a strange year
Linda Snell's dog comes back from the dead and Joe Grundy eats goose for Christmas lunch!

You can tell I'm in Chrimbo Limbo and have been listening to too much radio. :lol:

Latest posts

Back