Decent floorstain or varnish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NT0S

Reaction score
Hi.

I was wondering whether anyone can recommend me some good brands for floorstain or varnish?

Thanks a lot.

A friend of mine who fits and refinishes floors always tells me Bona products are very good, think aimed at professionals though.

Doug

I have heard it claimed that Smith and Roger's Aquacoat SP is good, but have not tried it myself. I'm normally deeply suspicious of any water based varnish (or gloss paint for that matter) as I've had almost universally disappointing results.

Sheffield Tony":34aihtr6 said:
I have heard it claimed that Smith and Roger's Aquacoat SP is good, but have not tried it myself. I'm normally deeply suspicious of any water based varnish (or gloss paint for that matter) as I've had almost universally disappointing results.
I've just used the Smith & Rogers aquabuild (Sprayable) on some veneered boards. The finish is very good. Would have used sp if doing by hand.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
I'm going to go through each one and have a look.

Doug71":35l87gdf said:
A friend of mine who fits and refinishes floors always tells me Bona products are very good, think aimed at professionals though.

Doug

He is quite right, and very hard wearing. It is aimed at professionals and widely used by them simply because it is so good. Do not be put off by the "professional" tag though, it's a two part sydtem but using it is simplicity itself if you read and follow the instructions.

Jim

I've been going through the suggestions and they all seem great. I've decided we'd like a grey colour, which I see a good few of the aforementioned companies stock. Would this work on pine, do you think? I guess you'd have to do several coats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure about that, pine ages to a very yellow colour. Unless there are any flooring professionals lurking here, it might be worth posting a question on a wood flooring forum (there are several) where you are more likely to get the benefit of people with long practical experience in floor finishing.

Jim

yetloh":d5nup5yo said:
Not sure about that, pine ages to a very yellow colour. Unless there are any flooring professionals lurking here, it might be worth posting a question on a wood flooring forum (there are several) where you are more likely to get the benefit of people with long practical experience in floor finishing.

Jim

Right, I'll try that then.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back