Dead blow, rubber, leather, plastic, screw-in heads?!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking I might ask someone to buy me a hammer for Xmas - one for knocking together joints etc. Oh boy, spoilt for choice... What are the relative benefits of the following types?

Dead blow
Rubber
Leather
Plastic
And even ones with screw in faces.

I understand how a dead blow hammer behaves differently but not why one might buy one instead of the other types, in a practical sense?

Any thoughts?

I like a thor rubber hammer in White, they are non marking so you can hit stuff hard without damage. Quieter than a mallet too.
I do use a dead blow hammer too, the clue is in the name.

Simon

Same as Simon, I have one of the Thor ones with the white rubber head.

Most screw in inserts I've seen are black rubber or white nylon, both will mark the work.

Leather or rawhide I use on metal with a copper face on teh other side.

Jason

I have just done a search on the Thor hammer and on amazon they come in either 400g, 600g or 900g head weights. What weight do you both use.

Cheers

Dave

I use a dead blow hammer that came free with some shelving my wife bought for her workshop. I mainly use it for knocking down my bench holdfasts, works really well.

Just plastic, orange, so I cannot lose it, and as I said before, free. It does not mark either.

Mick

Back