David Stanley International Auction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard T

Established Member
Reaction score
By way of an antidote to recent cheap tool threads :) Just a heads up about this. The catalogue will be up soon.

http://www.davidstanley.com/next%20inte ... 20sale.htm

We have not been to an international sale before but we did go to a standard auction earlier this year. I only bought one auction lot (£25 lot of augers) but easily most of the fun was to be had from the stalls that occupy the rest of the 'room' (basketball court). It's a big place and an Aladin's cave for all things toolie.

Don't be put off by the rare and fabulous 'stars' and their estimates - there will be heaps of stuff that is affordable and useful.

Just to second Richard's recommendation. Where else can you see so much lovely stuff up close all in one place, even if you can't afford to buy all of it. And the dealers' stalls are well worth a look too.

Just my luck again this year, this sale is clashing with VW Camper event and hols :evil:
Will, all being well, be there on Friday and should have the Plane makers Mothers with me for an outing :wink:

AndyT":j8dgeuk5 said:
Just to second Richard's recommendation. Where else can you see so much lovely stuff up close all in one place, even if you can't afford to buy all of it. And the dealers' stalls are well worth a look too.

Thirded 8) :lol:

Cheers
Andy

im going to try my hardest to go, even if i have to train, bus, bus, taxi it all the way :)
will leave visa at home tho,
TT

I found an error in the list. :lol:

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...ey-auctions/catalogue-id-2874386/lot-19289095
This is definitely not a French plow, it's Dutch. I've got a very similar one, allthough mine is 100 years younger.

735-201391216350_468x382.jpg

I promised myself I wouldn't get into bidding but I couldn't resist a pop at this and I'm glad I did because I got it for £20.

A 22" Disston back saw -

I expect for use in a mitre box but shows no signs of such wear, nor any signs of previous use at all. It's straight, jointed and sharp. Difficult to date I expect; the button shows this:

And half way along the back:

Also I got two parallel irons 2 - 1/2" and 2 - 1/4" (I&H. Sorby?)

A moving fillister with not only all its bits ...

... but it has square washers to square up the fence movement and absorb movement from the turning screw to the brass slot, making it less likely to move out of line when tightening.

It has also not been used much, the Box wood is not even scratched let alone worn. The Iron needed to be ground back to shape though as someone had ground it into a sort of 1/4" shallow plough iron at the far edge ... ??? And the depth stop stopped about 3/16" above the cut so I extended the stop by riveting on an extra bit of steel.

Finally I found another rounded Dreadnought. The one I had already was the only one I had ever seen before and it gets so much use I was worried about ever replacing it .

Hooray! Another ten years without needing to get a milling machine !

Yes, the Frenchie. I have finally aquired an iron for my own plough of similar type. Now I hope to get it in working order. It hasn't such fancy nuts though.

Good shopping!
That Disston saw would go well with one of the two mitre boxes I bought at the last general sale. Not very common over here, especially at that price.

And those square washers are a simple idea worth copying - thanks for sharing.

Another thing about those washers - they are countersunk. They provide the flat contact surface with the brass slot so the screws can be countersunk and much easier to find. The more I think about them the more of their genius becomes apparent.

Do you think you could use the saw Andy? I'll give it a full measure if you like. I don't see me getting around to a mitre box for some time.

SNAP!!!
MINE IS 22' ALSO

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 342