David Savage Workshop DVDs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Following an earlier posting, has anyone got any more views on David Savage's DVDs now they have been out a while and there are a few more in the series:

http://www.finefurnituremaker.com/DVD_sales.htm

From the on-line trailers they appear to be quite well shot and cover some of the fundamental skills with attention to detail but I am wondering if anyone has an opinion?

Thanks
S

Unfortunately i have not seen them but after watching the clips they look interesting.

Shame all these dvd's are so expensive otherwise i would have these and David Charlesworth's DVD's.

I purchased the pair Drawer Making & Through Dovetailing but I cant remember where from,
First impression from the package was not good as both discs were in plain CD plastic holders with no information sleeves not very professional

When watching the DVD`s I kept getting the impression the camera was too far away from the subject and focusing on the tutor rather than the work,

Nigel

VERY poorly made and, in the DT one at least, DS does nothing but introduce his head tutor.

wizer":14syubc5 said:
VERY poorly made and, in the DT one at least, DS does nothing but introduce his head tutor.

makes you wonder about his courses - they are eye wateringly expensive , but are they worth the money ? (the sales blurb on the website turns me right off i have to say)

It's probably normal, but I was a bit put off with the fact that he isn't the main tutor. He just floats in and out offering advice and tutorage at a whim, supposedly. That's not to knock the guy teaching, he's probably very good. But then why isn't it his name on the bill? Oh well, unless I win the lotto, I'll never be in a position to go on such a course. So what do I know?

wizer":1ml7qh9s said:
It's probably normal, but I was a bit put off with the fact that he isn't the main tutor. He just floats in and out offering advice and tutorage at a whim, supposedly. That's not to knock the guy teaching, he's probably very good. But then why isn't it his name on the bill? Oh well, unless I win the lotto, I'll never be in a position to go on such a course. So what do I know?

yep me neither - tho i have to say that if i did have £17k knocking about i'd be more inclined to spend it on some top class kit and a load of timber than on a course - i might save out a couple of grand to dop some of the west dean short courses tho ;)

oh no if money wasn't an object then I'd dearly love to do a proper course. That's high on my 'What if I won the lottery' list. I need that one to one tuition. It's the only way I learn. Books and the internet are a much slower method of learning for me. It just doesn't go in. The few courses and times I've spent with more experienced woodworkers have been when I've really had light bulbs turning on. I just wish we had something like the courses the old editor of F&C runs. I'd take three or four short courses a year if there wasn't the added expense of travel and board.

wizer":2bq2nxkh said:
oh no if money wasn't an object then I'd dearly love to do a proper course. That's high on my 'What if I won the lottery' list. I need that one to one tuition. It's the only way I learn. Books and the internet are a much slower method of learning for me. It just doesn't go in. The few courses and times I've spent with more experienced woodworkers have been when I've really had light bulbs turning on. I just wish we had something like the courses the old editor of F&C runs. I'd take three or four short courses a year if there wasn't the added expense of travel and board.

see i'm different - i dont learn well from tuition, but more from teaching myself by setting out to new stuff and Cucumbering it up along the way.

that said i money was no object i'd be tempted to hire steve (maskery) for a few days , but rather than getting him to teach me , i'd just pay him to make the jigs i'd like .

hehe, I've been cocking things up for year, hasn't made me any better ;)

big soft moose":286ngfpv said:

that said i money was no object i'd be tempted to hire steve (maskery) for a few days , but rather than getting him to teach me , i'd just pay him to make the jigs i'd like .

Hell I think you'd turn a profit on that - I'd buy the jigs :)

Miles

I've just watched the latest David Savage DVD, "How to use a Bench Plane", and I would rate it as excellent - certainly the best one of the series and significantly better than the previous ones.

It actually comprises two DVDs and covers a lot of material and quite thoroughly. The presentation is done by Daren Millman, his Senior Craftsman who, I think, has a very nice style.

There's a very useful piece about timber movement and moisture content. It then goes on to show how to prepare a good quality plane to work even better than "out of the box".

The main part covers how to prepare and joint two boards, such as you would use as the panel in a frame and panel door. This includes glueing and cramping them. It then goes on to show how to finish plane the panel to thickness, width and length.

For anyone who is not confident in using a bench plane, I would rate this as a first class DVD.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

miles_hot":327aq5ba said:
big soft moose":327aq5ba said:

Hell I think you'd turn a profit on that - I'd buy the jigs :)

Miles

actually joking aside ive been thinking about having a jig making session with my workshop volunteers (and i have wondered how much it would cost to get steve down for a day- Imay pm him on that ) - as its easy to make duplicate bits once the machines are set up you should come and play.

wizer":g293v6cz said:
hehe, I've been cocking things up for year, hasn't made me any better ;)

Don't sell yerself short Tom...

You have taken on some seriously complicated problems such as orginially with the TS 200.

The way you worked through it was both methodical and conclusive.

Just look at how many followers the thread had!

I particularly enjoyed the bash you co-arranged...that was a very instructive even...we are very lucky!

Jim

I too have just received and viewed the "How to use a Bench Plane" DVD.
The information given by Daren Millman is very clear and useful.
He obviously not only knows his stuff - but can put it into practice too. It is a joy to watch a skilled craftsman at work.

The video is shot during a series of lectures to students. So you get introduction comments like "Today I'm going to show you ...." at new points in the video which makes sense for the students, but doesn't to the viewer so much.

The first DVD is about 40 mins long, the second around 30 mins. say 75 mins in total-ish. The DVD is priced at £38 - even though the main web page with all the information about the DVD current has it showing as £30.

Overall I was a little disappointed with the DVD set. Titled "How to use a Bench Plane" - it doesn't mention how the components of the plane are put together, how to remove/put back the parts, how to look after your plane etc. There is alot of useful information on the blade and the chipper and how to set these up - together with how to ensure the plane is a flat as possible. However it's assumed you know what a Number 6 plane is, which might be laughable to some of you - but to a newbie I still haven't a clue what the numbering system for planes means!

Perhaps a better title would be "How to use a No 6 Bench Plane to precisely dimension a piece of wood that you have glued together ". Maybe it started out with that title and they ran out of space on the packaging?

For me, personally, this DVD set at £38 pounds set against what I was able to learn and take forward into practice was not good value compared to say Steve Maskery's "WorkShop Essentials 4+5 - Bandsaw Essentials and Jigs and Advanced techniques".

With Steve's DVD you have someone who again not only "knows it but can do it". This DVD set is not an edited video of a series of lectures. It's Steve talking to the camera, so I feel Steve is really talking to me, not a class of silent students.

Steve's DVD starts from the very basic and works up. So that - if you are a newbie to bandsaws like me - you can follow what is going on from the very start, and if you know the basics already, then there's plenty of other things later on the DVD that will inspire you. There are lots of useful tips ( as there are in the Bench Plane DVD too) but also really good demonstrations for jigs with plans provided to help you build them and put them into practice.

Steve's two DVD set is £25 and is 3hrs long.

Finally .. delivery. Both David Savage and Steve Maskery's DVDs were ordered at the same time and same day of week. Steve's DVDs arrived on doorstep next morning with a nice welcoming comment on a compliment slip. The David Savage DVDs arrived 3 days after ordering - sent second class post. Whilst there was nothing else inside other than the DVD's I feel David Savage missed the opportunity to slip in some details of his company & courses etc which I may have been interested in.

In summary the David Savage DVD " How to use a Bench Plane " fell below my expectations in a number of areas. However I do realise these are subjective thoughts and other people may not feel as I do. Perhaps I'll put the DVD on the shelf and when I'm less of a newbie I may look at the DVD again with a different perspective.

Graham

Latest posts

Back