Dancing on ice WTF ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
Now of course i dont watch such dung, but swimbo was looking at the contestant list earlier and you have the usual array of Z listers and has beens including vanila ice, angela rippon, and some chick who is apparently best known for getting her kit off on holyoaks, however the last contestant on the list is lance coporal Johnson Beharry VC of the PWRR , the only living recipient of the VC in the last 30 years. What the **** ?

Can you imagine the conversation back stage, "So what are you famous for then" ," well I had a rubbish rap record in the eighties, and you", "well I got my norks out on TV" "and what about you Johnson" " well I drove a warrior armoured vehicle out of an ambush after it had been hit by five RPG warheads and I'd collected a shedload of frag in my head and brain - 6 days after saving my mates lives in another similar action - so they gave me the VC "

Says something about society today ...

excisely ;)

That we place the same value on some silly tart whos famous for sweet FA, as we do on a solidier recognised for extreme courage

you also have to wonder what selection procedure the producers used to come up with that selection

theartfulbodger":2ei0s6ls said:
Eugenics. That's what we need.

lets put the Z list nonentities in the army and send them to 'stan - that'll sort em out, we could have a phone vote eacxh week on who gets to walk point in the green zone :evil:

incidentally Johnson Beharry is said to be thinking about leaving the army because he wants to go to serve in 'stan , but the army wont let him - alledgedly they say hes not fit enough but he says he thinks that they are afraid of a VC getting killed and the potential for resultant bad press

big soft moose":1j229o0v said:
theartfulbodger":1j229o0v said:
Eugenics. That's what we need.

lets put the Z list nonentities in the army and send them to 'stan - that'll sort em out, we could have a phone vote eacxh week on who gets to walk point in the green zone :evil:

incidentally Johnson Beharry is said to be thinking about leaving the army because he wants to go to serve in 'stan , but the army wont let him - alledgedly they say hes not fit enough but he says he thinks that they are afraid of a VC getting killed and the potential for resultant bad press
Now that would definitely be worth watching. :D Makes me wonder how the hell the TV producers think we want to see this rubbish??
who gives a damn about these programs anyway?

mailee":2ym61vs1 said:
:D Makes me wonder how the hell the TV producers think we want to see this rubbish??
who gives a damn about these programs anyway?
We watch Strictly Come Dancing.
No it isn't isn't high-brow TV, but we find it very entertaining. Even my 7-year-old son likes it and it's been his stay-up-late treat on Saturdays for the last 3 months.
IMHO it's the closest to the traditional Saturday night entertainment TV we had in the 70s/80s.
IMHO it's simply great family entertainment.
This series has produced some excellent quality dancing, with a worthy winner.

Never watched Dancing On Ice, but then I've no interest in their celebrities or skating.
Usually avoid all the talent shows, but have seen bits of previous X Factors, which have produced OK pop stars sometimes.

I don't mind the programs as such, if that's what people want to watch, and it appears many do (unless it's just because there's nowt else to watch), what irritates the hell out of me is all the cheapskate follow on programs that are generated (churned out) off the back of them at the expense of better quality programs.

big soft moose":3tukem8v said:
Now of course i dont watch such pineapple, but swimbo was looking at the contestant list earlier and you have the usual array of Z listers and has beens including vanila ice, angela rippon, and some chick who is apparently best known for getting her kit off on holyoaks, however the last contestant on the list is lance coporal Johnson Beharry VC of the PWRR , the only living recipient of the VC in the last 30 years. What the **** ?

Can you imagine the conversation back stage, "So what are you famous for then" ," well I had a rubbish rap record in the eighties, and you", "well I got my norks out on TV" "and what about you Johnson" " well I drove a warrior armoured vehicle out of an ambush after it had been hit by five RPG warheads and I'd collected a shedload of frag in my head and brain - 6 days after saving my mates lives in another similar action - so they gave me the VC "

I haven't a clue what your point is, however I have discovered that people who say "now I never watch such pineapple" tend to always have the TV tuned to such programmes because their "wife" watches it.

Worst "I watch reality TV and pretend I don't" thread ever.

I'll tell you what "says something about society today", people who think it's OK to use WTF, is there any need for your abbreviation. Surely "dancing on ice, I don't get it" would have done.

I think in order of chavness, it would be very difficult to put people who sit and watch a family show (meaningless light entertainment admittedly) above people who think its acceptable to post crude abbreviations.

If people think I'm a prude then you don't know me, I have a reputation on another forum for being a bit of a guttermouth, but I also know where and when it's appropriate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0DUsGSMwZY

Today this would be a much more complex sketch given how people like to be perceived and like others to perceive things. For a moment I thought we were all part of the same society which is therefore a product of all of us? Or are all the "bad" bits the product of people who watch programs that are portrayed as undesirable?

Doctor":1gpr4466 said:
big soft moose":1gpr4466 said:
Now of course i dont watch such pineapple, but swimbo was looking at the contestant list earlier and you have the usual array of Z listers and has beens including vanila ice, angela rippon, and some chick who is apparently best known for getting her kit off on holyoaks, however the last contestant on the list is lance coporal Johnson Beharry VC of the PWRR , the only living recipient of the VC in the last 30 years. What the **** ?

I haven't a clue what your point is, however I have discovered that people who say "now I never watch such pineapple" tend to always have the TV tuned to such programmes because their "wife" watches it.

Worst "I watch reality TV and pretend I don't" thread ever.

I'll tell you what "says something about society today", people who think it's OK to use WTF, is there any need for your abbreviation. Surely "dancing on ice, I don't get it" would have done.

I think in order of chavness, it would be very difficult to put people who sit and watch a family show (meaningless light entertainment admittedly) above people who think its acceptable to post crude abbreviations.

If people think I'm a prude then you don't know me, I have a reputation on another forum for being a bit of a guttermouth, but I also know where and when it's appropriate.

doc - congratulations on your promotion to moderator,

matt":5wi4v35d said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0DUsGSMwZY

Today this would be a much more complex sketch given how people like to be perceived and like others to perceive things. For a moment I thought we were all part of the same society which is therefore a product of all of us? Or are all the "bad" bits the product of people who watch programs that are portrayed as undesirable?

my point isnt about those that watch it - if that what makes them happy the live and let live

my point was regarding grouping someone who won the nations highest award for bravery with a bunch of Z list celebrities like vanilla ice, angela rippon, and a vareity of people who's only claim to fame is that they used to be in hollyoaks

Still don't get what's wrong with the grouping unless, of course, you're not crediting the viewers with the intelligence to recognise their relative merits etc or otherwise stereotyping them to be not worthy.

I imagine more people will have heard of the celebs so perhaps he's trying to raise his profile? Perhaps it's a promotional piece for his forthcoming book. He'll no doubt get more sales if he's better known having had a leg-up on the back of popular culture. I assume he both agreed to appear and is getting paid.

I'm don't really follow the celebrity thing. Their "ranking" (i.e. z-list etc) is not something I would be overly familiar with - I tend to be interested in people based on what I know about them rather than how they are rated. Perhaps, if you are inclined to rate people based on what they've done then I can see how you might get hung up about it. It seems like the fodder of columnists.

Clearly we're coming at this from very different perspectives cos I'm really not smelling what you're treadin' in.

I supose what i'm saying is that the grouping is somewhat insulting/demeaning to what it was that made him "famous" - ie extreme bravery under fire saving the life of numerous comrades at great personal cost - it seems to be implied that the value of this action to society is the same as releasing "Ice ice baby", being a nondescript newsreader, or being in hollyoaks and getting ones **** out in FHM.

I dont doubt that he agreed to do the show as publicity for his upcoming book, but again this is somewhat the point - why is it necessary for someone who has been awarded the nations highest award for valor to do a tacky TV show in order to publicise their book ? the fact that the celebs who have done sweety FA of any value are better known is what i meant about the issue with the values of society - in the forties Guy Gibson (VC,DFC,DSO and bar) and John Keneally (VC, CGC and bar) etc were household names - and their books ("enemy coast ahead" and "the honour and the shame" respectively) were promoted by the press and given coverage because of their actions and heroism - they didnt have to tit about on an icerink along with a bunch of Z list non entities before the media through them a bone

Moose, did he not choose to go on the programme? How can that be a judgement on society?

Back