Damp walls issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes please Dave.

Mark, no probs about spelling, wish that was the worst I've been called.

Sorry not had much of a chance to get in the loft but here are the pictures so far!

This is the unit - Vent Axia LoWatt HR204
normal_EPSN0003~0.JPG

The heat exchanger
normal_EPSN0002~0.JPG

The Insides
normal_EPSN0001.JPG

More to come :wink:

Dave

Mark Hancock":iry9mndj said:
The timing of this thread is unbelieveable. I've just encountered the same problem as Brendon and was at a loss what to do.

Is there any way I can save/flag this thread for future reference?

or simply bookmark the page in your browser.

Well I have got most of the ducting in place and and wrapped with insulation. Used the router to cut the holes for the vents in each room just have the external vents to fit now.

Question for Mike if he is reading - I want to fit the vents in the soffits as this is the easiest for me, how far apart should they be? The manual say 2 mtrs but the shop I bought the ducting from said that was excessive.

Regards

Dave

Well, as far apart as you can Dave........but a min of 1200 I reckon. Try and make the terminals accessible, because you will want to clean them occasionally.....and make sure there is an insect mech on the "in" terminal......it sucks loads of insects in otherwise.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

Terminals are easily reached and at the front of the house so it will remind me to clean them LOL.

I also need to find a route for the condensation pipe - and then almost ready to switch on and balance!

Thanks for you help

Dave

RogerS":2f4fixj2 said:
Mark Hancock":2f4fixj2 said:
The timing of this thread is unbelieveable. I've just encountered the same problem as Brendon and was at a loss what to do.

Is there any way I can save/flag this thread for future reference?

or simply bookmark the page in your browser.

Should have thought of that! :oops: Thanks Roger.

Well managed to get it up and running yesterday - have got a roof vent tile, but need to get it fitted so exhaust is via an existing roof vent for the time being.

amazed to see how much condensation that has come out already - hygrometer is saying around 51% two days ago it was around 60%!

All in all I have spent about £1k - www.I-sells.co.uk were excellent in supplying the ducting (albeit I collected from them). All ducting wrapped with Thermawrap insulation from Screwfix.

Noise is not too bad, bit like a small fridge for comparison, and we could only really hear it at night but have just put some carpet behind the fixings to try and make it less noisy.

So far I am glad we have done this - be interesting to see how it fairs long term!

Dave

Dave,

I should have said about the noise. Locate the unit above a hall or bathroom, not a bedroom, and make the first metre of the pipe runs (where they connect to the unit) in flexible insulated ducting. Sit the whole thing loose on a thick foam rubber mat, and you can chuck a blanket of insulation over the whole thing.

You shouldn't really hear anything at night....have you tried running it at a lower speed setting?

As for the condensate drain......have a steaming hot shower, then go and watch the condensation run out of the building through the drain! You've just done the best thing you possibly could for the internal environment of your house.

Mike

Dave,

Thanks for the running commentary, I've been reading with great interest. My silence is not an indication that I've stuck my head in the sand and hoped the damp would go away but, rather, that I am investigating the installation and getting information on firms that do it here. I am unable, for health reasons, to climb about attics so I'm going to have to pay to get it done which is very frustrating because a few years ago I would have relished a job like this. Anyway, I will be posting on my progress when I have more background work done.

Your installation and Mike's advice have given me great confidence in this project.

Thank you both,

Brendan

Hi Mike,

No problem - I did know about siting the unit, unfortunately I did not have much of a choice regarding location. Living room is new build extention with flat roof and bathroom in middle of property so the unit is over the passage.

To be honest it is quiet and did not disturb us too much, in fact it is quite soothing (got a bit of tinnitus!) :)

I have the unit on the slowest speed setting and I think the carpet behind the fixing has done the trick - we will see what it is like better tonight. I did in fact use flexible duct to connect the unit so that was lucky.

Thanks for you help and reassurance Mike, much appreciated.

Dave

BMac":2tnovdct said:
Dave,

Thanks for the running commentary, I've been reading with great interest. My silence is not an indication that I've stuck my head in the sand and hoped the damp would go away but, rather, that I am investigating the installation and getting information on firms that do it here. I am unable, for health reasons, to climb about attics so I'm going to have to pay to get it done which is very frustrating because a few years ago I would have relished a job like this. Anyway, I will be posting on my progress when I have more background work done.

Your installation and Mike's advice have given me great confidence in this project.

Thank you both,

Brendan

Hi Brendan, no worries - I didn't want to hijack your thread but thought it would be best as more of a reply the the OP, so glad it is useful to you!

Regards

Dave

Back