Damp plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been reroofing my workshop which had sprung a few leaks. New 18mm structural ply cladding with EPDM one piece rubber covering. Yesterdays weather was appalling and the ply got soaked before I could get the rubber sheet on (Which I had to do anyway )
I am now wondering what is going to happen to the plywood as the rubber will stop it drying out.

Morning Graham,
When I built my workshop last year I had a similar problem.
I left the roof covered with the EDPM for a couple of days until the weather improved, rolled it back to the halfway line, let one half dry, then the other.
I'd incorporated a 50 mm ventilation gap in the new roof structure and that allowed the underside of the roof to dry as well.
I've had to remove some of the plasterboard in the ceilings to fix an electrical problems and see no evidence of damp on the underside of the boards.
Hth
Kieran

hi Kieran
I was thinking of doing that, if it ever stops raining, but I am a bit concerned that damp, then hot sun, will make it warp. Sort of damned if I do, damned if I dont :)

Hi Graham,
I suppose it depends upon how you've fixed your ply sheeting.
Mine was glued and then fixed with ring shanks every 150-200 mm and doesn't seem to have moved or warped.
How far apart are your joists, and what thickness ply are you using?
Kieran

Back