Daft Q.: the longest cut you've made with a plunge saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I've just ordered a 3m rail for my Makita SP6000K (DIY has to have its compensations sometimes).

It dawned on me that, given the two 1.4m rails I already have, I could theoretically now manage a straight (-ish) cut of about 5.4m, which would probably be handy if I ever needed to. OK, I'd need another set of joiner bars, but hey.

I have a vague feeling that Festool offer really, really long rails for the TS55, too, five metres, possibly.

So I wondered: what's the longest cut you've made with your rail saw, and with how many sets of joiner bars involved?

Just curious...

E.

To answer your question: 2.4m :lol: (just an MDF board) using my newly acquired 3m Makita rail as I got fed up with the two 1.4m rails not joining in a perfect straight line!

Hmmm, never thought to join all three rails - just need a new project requiring that :idea:

Apparently (we were discussing this today) Phil Beckley from Festool did 75 metres with a TSC55 on a single battery charge at Festool UKs headquarters.

Ed Bray":2xa09kh8 said:
Apparently (we were discussing this today) Phil Beckley from Festool did 75 metres with a TSC55 on a single battery charge at Festool UKs headquarters.

In one long strip?????

Flippin' eck! How deep was the cut, and how many joints in the track?

I'm certainly not worthy to own anything green & black.

Funnily enough, this has unexpectedly becoming a case of "How did I ever manage without...?" in our household.

Obviously it was bought for breaking down 8x4 sheet, but unexpectedly I find myself having to trim my accursed 9" skirtings, to square up the bottom edges and plant about 1" more on altogether. The bottoms are almost waney-edged or possibly even adzed, and I've been fussing over how to get a clean straight edge (it's not going to happen on the table saw!). But the longest board is about 4.2m, and I have trestles and clamps, so daftly, the first job might yet involve joining 1.4 to 3m track.

But 75m is around 230ft - that's some skirting board!

Longest continuous cut I've done is about 5m on a floor 2 x 1400s and a 2700 joined together

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

OK, Chippy, you're winning so far.

I think we have to consider Festool Inc. (and Festool Ltd.) to be cheating, not least on grounds of cost!

Of course it occurs to me that what would've been really impressive would be to have a couple of those Festool chaps un-spannering the track just after the saw had gone through, then running past and fitting it on t'other end.

That would've been really fun to watch for 75m or so...

I'm evil, me.

E.

Eric The Viking":g615aiut said:
Of course it occurs to me that what would've been really impressive would be to have a couple of those Festool chaps un-spannering the track just after the saw had gone through, then running past and fitting it on t'other end.

That would've been really fun to watch for 75m or so...

I'm evil, me.

E.

Like this? :wink:

https://youtu.be/iC53b7IVk4A

Latest posts

Back