Cyclones - local a/c ducting company hopes to make me one

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Pecker, hope you're well.
Reference your suggestion about a DC forum, not really practical. Start a DC forum, then a TS forum, BS forum, Router forum, Brass Screw forum.....well you get the picture.
It's the nature and the attraction of WW that there are so many varied disciplines and methods. I think we have the right balance at present considering the size and active membership of the site.

Rgds

Noel

Pecker its not the size of the garage that matters but the length of pipes used and the design of the pipes. Tight 90 degree bends and T junctions are bad better use Y junctions and long 90 degree bends and lots of blastgates to cut the run and only allow one opening at a time. You have two other choices either use metal or PVC - I will not get into that argument but the choice is yours providing you use a cheap metal supplier such as CCl and not Axminster. Your ducting usually costs just as much as your extractor if not more.
I used soil pipe to allow the flexibility as my workshop design is always changing as I add new equipment. My maximum run is close to 30 feet. With longer runs its better to not use a 1HP extractor and at least go for a 2HP and if the piping is extensive to both sides of your workshop use a 3HP extractor.
Once you have decided on your pipe size, depending on your motor, with 4" being minimum in my view, you will have to possibly modify the dust ports on some of your machines to suit.
I have a cyclone and filter system and would recommend you consider a filter even outside so as to increase your flow rate.
Hope this helps
Barry

PipeWork8.jpg

Back