Cyclone Flat Pack Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its just bent cold, no tools required and all the fixings required will come with the pack.

I'm quite interested in this so have been following this thread eagerly.

When you next construct a prototype or first product version why not take many pictures of the process. I like many others am keen to see what skills and what amount of difficulty there is in constructing the final product prior to purchase.

I think that I can believe that it will work OK more easily than imagining any difficulties in the build it process issues.

I am also concerned about the costs of any final filters to return air to the workshop. In the US these are a reasonable price but in the UK we are looking at prices of £400++ per filter from my recent research. For me its a question of returning clean air to the shop and also keeping my heating bills down as far as possible.

Alan

The reason I'm running through a full set this week is to take pictures and video of the assembly, I have got a few pictures of it going together but not worth posting, need a decent camera to get good pictures of something see through.

Regarding filters, I've been using the prototype with my chip extractor bags as the filters and there is no visible sign of the fine stuff escaping, none of that fine film around the extractor after use. But you can get 1 mircon cartridge filters for a lot less than £400. Such as this one:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod838008/

The us format of the cyclone, extractor motor and filters been one unit, I don't think that will catch on here as people already have extractor units, people would rather put a cyclone between the existing extractor and couple that with a fine filter on the extractor. The outcome is the same, nice clean air.

But if you can wait just a week or two more I'll have a full load of pictures and videos for you to have a look at.

Sure I can wait. After all it's you doing all the hard work.

The filters issue is partially resolved in that I find you can buy Donaldson Torit filters at about £70 each from several sources. Still expensive. Result will depend upon how many might be needed.

I guess I need to do some more thinking and research.

As you say many will want to add in a cyclone before their DC system. My problem is that I don;'t think my current 2HP DC will be sufficient and that I will need to move to a 3HP or even 4HP if one is available.

I'm uncertain if getting rid of my current DC and buying a new one is a good idea or if I need to go with an "all-in-one" cyclone system even if I make it myself.
Alan

Interested if the price is right! I have been looking at the Axminster cyclones for a while but the initial cost is the stalling point!!

Would probably be looking at 0.5 micron or possibly 0.2 micron if you work with MDF or fine dusty woods for the filters, would be my prefernece anyway!

Eagerly awaiting the Updates!

Same here, interested if the price is right, Think that goes with a lot of things now sadly. :(

Cheers

Dave

These guys http://www.rbindustrial.co.uk/ used to have an ebay presence and sell quite reasonably priced filters but I can't find them on the bay at the moment.
Whether they would be interested in supplying filters to go with Chems cyclone project in exchange for some forum publicity I don't know.
Whilst I'm following this thread with interest, I'm not in the market for a cyclone kit as I already have a Burgess/IKEA Cyclone from this forum many years ago now although the thread was still here last time I looked.

Bob

Regarding price is right, I said this earlier encase it was missed:

Chems":36rgnm0p said:
As a really rough guide on price as it hasn't all been worked out yet it will range from roughly £100/110 for 150mm down to £50-60 for the 50mm version probably less but still got a few prices to work out.

And I'm pretty sure that it will be around those prices once I have taken everything into consideration, as with all these things, the large amount of orders the cheaper I can do it with regards buying materials in bulk, so for the first major run I may try and coral a load of orders up together then do a run.

So roughly:

150mm - £100-£120 with P&P (150mm is a bit of a monster at 890mm tall I can't imagine a lot of us will want it except the few pro shop owners)
100mm - £80-£90
63mm - £60-75
50mm - £40-55

I'll also be offering discount for people who want to buy a smaller one for their vac and a larger one for the main extractor as it saves loads in boxes as each size has a custom made box to ship in.

The best bit, with it been flat pack and relativity light, the people who asked for it to be sent across to europe, I looked up prices and its not much more expensive than UK delivery which opens the market up a bit.

Appreciate all the feedback thanks.

Chems":1cqb9pn9 said:
The best bit, with it been flat pack and relativity light, the people who asked for it to be sent across to europe, I looked up prices and its not much more expensive than UK delivery which opens the market up a bit.

Appreciate all the feedback thanks.

I was interested anyway, but now I'm very interested!! =D>
As I have a large barn that I work in I will need the 150mm version, but what size (hp) extractor will I need to accompany that?
I may also consider a smaller vac version as well, bearing in mind what you said.
My biggest worry is whether or not I'm capable of putting it all together as an efficent system (homer)
When are you coming over again Bob? :roll:

I think for the 150mm version you'll need at least 3hp if not more ideally. I have a friend who's a joiner and he has a multibag 3phase system must be somewhere around 4-6hp, he's the sort of person I'm guessing will be after the 150mm version.

Froggy":3hg86dbt said:
When are you coming over again Bob? :roll:

Hi Tim,

I did not get holidays organised this year :roll: Janice has been all over the place (New York, Antigua, Paris (soon)) since we were with you in May10 - I've stayed home in the workshop (cue violins!)

Early next year we are planning to go to NZ and hopefully get over to France either May or Sept 2012. We also need to leave the country to get away from the festering Olympics but France will be too hot for my taste then.

Either way it will possibly too long to wait for cyclone building :lol:

As for HP needed- another dart in the board for you.
I have 3hp 2850 rpm 350mm blower with 150mm inlet driving a Burgess Cyclone with 100mm in and 150mm outlet.
Barry built his cyclone around what was available to him at the time rather than a huge amount of science but it works and that is all we need.

I suggest to keep an eye out at Vide Grenier** events for something at least as big and make sure it has a a 2 pole (2850RPM) motor.

Cheers

Bob

** Similar to UK car boot sales - more literally "Empty Attic"

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to keep an out for a 3 hp blower. Although I'm on single phase so will need a single phase motor, so I would imagine anything bigger than 3hp will be hard to find.

Shame you won't be over for a while Bob, but at the rate I'm progressing with my workshop the jo could still be sat there waiting to be done next year :!:

I'm sure that I have read here that someone successfully cascaded two blowers to get higher airflow so rather than change a blower for a larger one, two could be used instead - possibly with delayed start for the second one to avoid huge starting currents on single phase supplies.

Bob

Are all the connections the same size? So on a 100mm, is the inlet, outlet and connection to the bin all 100mm. And the same for all the other diameters?

The inlet and outlet are 100mm, the outlet to the bin for the 100mm model is 150mm and the outlet and inlet for the 150mm cyclones is 150mm of course and the outlet to the bin is 230mm.

Main run is going through tomorrow, so will have more pictures after the weekend. . . hopefully!

Chems":1nkciuua said:
The inlet and outlet are 100mm, the outlet to the bin for the 100mm model is 150mm and the outlet and inlet for the 150mm cyclones is 150mm of course and the outlet to the bin is 230mm.

Main run is going through tomorrow, so will have more pictures after the weekend. . . hopefully!

Thanks! Just the info I needed. Now I'm off to investiagte the cost difference between 100mm and 150mm ducting, flexible and fixed, could be fun!

Back