Cyclone Flat Pack Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tusses":3s2qnx85 said:
for the drum... two mdf circles and some bendy ply ?

Bear in mind that the collection drum is under suction and if it leaks, the sawdust goes straight into the filter. Avoiding this is the whole objective of the cyclone.
So how brew collection drums need to re-seal reliably after each emptying.

Bob

9fingers":3osqv0ti said:
Tusses":3osqv0ti said:

Bear in mind that the collection drum is under suction and if it leaks, the sawdust goes straight into the filter. Avoiding this is the whole objective of the cyclone.

Bob
some kind of gasket , out of window draft excluder for instance ... the vacuum would help pull the seal tight.

We are wood workers aren't we ? :?

Tusses":1tt2qil8 said:
9fingers":1tt2qil8 said:
Tusses":1tt2qil8 said:

Bob
some kind of gasket , out of window draft excluder for instance ... the vacuum would help pull the seal tight.

We are wood workers aren't we ? :?

Yes indeed - it is perfectly doable but wanted non cyclone owners to know about the potential for a problem.

Bob

9fingers":1n2736k9 said:
Yes indeed - it is perfectly doable but wanted non cyclone owners to know about the potential for a problem.

Bob

I guess if you use a hose between a wall mounted cyclone and the bin, it really doesn't need to be round. That would make it easier to make, and more efficient use of space .

Tusses":3seaqasg said:
9fingers":3seaqasg said:

Bob

I guess if you use a hose between a wall mounted cyclone and the bin, it really doesn't need to be round. That would make it easier to make, and more efficient use of space .

Just make sure though that whatever bag you are going to decant the stuff into matches the total periphery DAMHIKT.

And don't...please don't...think 'Wouldn't it be a good idea to put a clear plastic front on the box so I can see when it's getting full"...again DAMHIKT

Hi Everyone. Having spent hours on the net (a couple of hours on Bill Pentz site alone!) looking into cyclones I now understand the principles of separation, but what I don’t understand is the ‘simple stuff’ – like where is the ‘dirty air’ sucked in from? From the machines directly or from the air? And how is it ‘sucked in’? Is it the ‘Blower’ that forces the air downwards in the cyclone or an independent unit? If it’s an independent unit where does that ‘sit’ in the flow of things? If it’s the ‘Blower’ then how does that work? Surely sawdust and chippings can’t go ‘through’ the blower or that would clog it up? :?: :?: :?: :?:
As you can see despite my efforts to learn from the net I’m still hopelessly lost. Could someone please draw an idiots diagram from machine to clean air blown outside for myself and any other lost souls out there who are struggling with this? #-o #-o

T.I.A. Froggy

The blower is a misnomer in that the air intake to the blower is connected to the top of the cyclone so it sucks.

When it is working properly this is virtually clean air and just needs a fine filter to remove the last little bit of dust.

The dirty air comes from the machines and the sawdust/chipping drop out the bottom of the cyclone.

Somewhere on Bill pentz's rabbit warren/website should be a video of a transparent cyclone working.

Bob

Froggy think of a vacuum cleaner. The motor is the equivalent of your 'blower'...a misnomer if ever there was one. The air comes out of your vacuum cleaner back into the room and usually filtered by virtue of the bag inside or maybe even a fine dust filter. That's the equivalent of the fine filters we're talking about.

Now turn to the hose. This would plug into the cyclone unit at the top. Then the other hole in the cyclone would attach to a pipe that was connected to your machines.

As the dust and chips are drawn in from your machines and into the cyclone, the design of the cyclone makes the dust and chips swirl round and as they do this they lose energy and 'fall' out of the airstream and out of the bottom of the cyclone into your bin (collector). That leaves just the air (in an ideal cyclone) to go into your vacuum cleaner.

That's the principle...only we use a large diameter hose and a large motor to create some suck...because with chippings a large flow of air is what is needed...referred to as a HVLP (high volume low pressure) system. The vacuum cleaner is the other way round (LVHP) and more suited to smaller diameter pipes...and comes into it's own when used to connect to things like portable sanders. If you tried a vacuum cleaner on the planer/thicknesser then chances are the pipe would get clogged up pretty quickly.

As a result of me building this...

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/i-m-feeling-the-squeeze-t51183.html?hilit=cyclone

I have the drum that I got with the cyclone available if anybody wants it. It has a clip on lid, and already has the hole cut in the top to suit a cyclone. Basically identical to the one in Chem's pics. It's in Leicester - Don't really want anything for it, unless anybody has anything they want to swap...
Si.

Standard oil drum size. 88cm tall, 60cm dia. Hole is 150mm, with 6 bolt holes around it to suit Dust Deputy flange.

Got an old tool you longer need for swapsies? If not, don't worry.

Si.

studders":201b1faw said:
They want £40+ for del to me. :shock:
So that's that idea out the window. :(

Think of a business near you that has their materials delivered in such containers and then go on the scrounge. A few quid in the tea fund normally works wonders!

Bob

Well there's Morgan cars made in Malvern...I reckon that they must use a LOT of oil drums ...LOL...actually it's a good idea.

Knappers, thanks, but I'll pass.

Latest posts

Back