Cyclone Flat Pack Kit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chems

Established Member
Reaction score
Are there any takers out there that would like a cyclone of similar size to the one I have shown in below made up in 3mm plastic CNC cut for people to assemble themselves? Would basically require some bending and gluing.

About few people interested on the other side so could make it a good number to do a batch.

I'm interested in making my own cyclone, so this looks interesting depending on price / performance etc etc.

any more details ?

How much air do we need to shift for this design etc etc

I'm using it with the new 3hp SIP extractor, I think the more the better really as Karl had this cyclone before me and said his Axminster 2hp extractor struggled a little.

RogerS":mu4h4shg said:
Chems...where did you get your 'oil' drum from?

All the ones I can find don't have a removeable lid

I was thinking that too.

But then I thought it should be pretty easy to make it removeable. or one out of MDF or something

I'd suggest that the cyclone should terminate in a short length of flexible hose which in turn connects to the collection drum. In that way the the cyclone can be permanently mounted say on a wall and the drum readily removed for emptying.
Works well on mine.
The cyclone was the first thing to be installed in my workshop - it is a trifle more full now!

MVC-003S-rot.jpg

Bob

Going to look into the cost of it over the weekend. The drum came with mine, I like Bobs idea of having the cyclone seprate from the drum allowing emptying.

Before I got mine I was looking at making one and did find a drum supplier, I think the link is on my other computer and I'll hunt it down next week.

9fingers said:
I'd suggest that the cyclone should terminate in a short length of flexible hose which in turn connects to the collection drum. In that way the the cyclone can be permanently mounted say on a wall and the drum readily removed for emptying.
Works well on mine.
The cyclone was the first thing to be installed in my workshop - it is a trifle more full now!

MVC-003S-rot.jpg

Hi Bob,

I remember a post from you a while ago detailing the silencer and some more general info for your extraction but I can't find it again, I wanted to see if you'd given any details on your cyclone, did you work to a particular design or were you freestyling? What are the innards like, does it have baffles?

Cheers,
T

I got a quote for delivery to Malvern for two 45 gallon barrels - the second link Bob gave - but I only need one. Anyone close by fancy sharing the delivery charge £30.90 inc VAT ?

Toby,

I bought my cyclone from Barry Burgess's widow after his untimely death a few years back. Fortunately, all Barry's post and photo hosting still survive and can be seen here cyclone-continued-t10825.html
It does not follow an established design but simply fits together items of suitable size that Barry had to hand or obtained readily at the time. He and I were in email contact on the topic but all the work was his.
The cyclone is a cut down 60 litre drum with a single turn air ramp wrapped around the 6" air outlet. The dust inlet is a short length of rectangular kitchen extractor ducting fitted to the ramp and the other end moulded into a 100mm round pipe.
The cone is an Ikea flowerpot followed by a short piece of 6" flexi and another 60 litre drum.
The blower is a 3hp 14" charnwood unit removed from one of their conventional extractors and fitted with a square to round converter by Barry
I took his component parts and simply re-arranged them to make a more compact arrangement to fit in my workshop to make this set up.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n313 ... i_0217.flv

Since that video was taken, I have added a 9th inlet but apart from that is is as shown and works to my complete satisfaction.

I don't want to hijack Chems project thread so if more information is required then I think we should start another thread.

Bob

Latest posts

Back