Cutting a perfect inner rectangle ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I need to cut a rectangle out of a piece of mdf. I've tried it before with a jigsaw but I need it to be dead accurate. I'm not sure at the moment wether the corners can be rounded or square. If it matters, the thickness of the mdf is around 6mm

Tools availible: Router, Jigsaw, TS, CC

Cheers

I would rough it out with a jigsaw or circular saw then finish it with the router and a straight edge.

Jason

Or a router with a guide bush - but do some tests first to see how well centred the guide bush is in relation to the cutter. Not sure what to suggest if you can't use rounded corners.

Paul

One way would be to cut up a piece of 12- 18 mm ply or MDF into a strip about 75- 100 mm wide on the table saw.

Then cut this strip into four lengths. Two pieces will be the length of the short sides of your planned rectangular cutout.

The other two would be the length of the long sides of the rectangular cutout plus twice the width of the strips.

Join the ends of the short strips to the long edges of the long strips precisely at the corners. You can join the corners with biscuits, dowels, a loose tongue worked with a router, even just glue the butts together at a bit of a push-- that might be a bit risky though.

You will have created an inside rectangle that exactly matches your planned cutout, a jig.

Attach the jig to your piece of 6mm MDF. Bore a generous hole through your MDF that almost touches your jig. Fit a top bearing pattern cutting bit in your router. Lower it through the pre-bored hole and, ensuring the bit doesn't accidentally touch the edge of the bored hole, switch on the router. Move the router towards the jig until the bearing rubs on it. Then work clockwise around the jig until the cutout drops away. Don't go anti-clockwise because that would be a climb cut that could cause the router to run away from you.

If your router isn't powerful enough to do this in one cut you'd be able to do essentially the same job by making a similar jig, but in this case you'd set it up with an offset to use a guide bush attached to the router base along with a straight bit.

This way you could achieve the cut in two or three downward steps. For example, if you use a 25mm guide bush with a 12 mm cutter the offset of your jig would be 6.5 mm greater all around than your required cutout, i.e., if your rectangular cut out must be 600 X 300 mm, the inner rectangle of your jig will measure 613 X 313 mm. Slainte.

Cutting with a router and guide bush would require a perfect rectangle for the guide bush to follow. How would this be achieved? I've often puzzled about that.

Jaymar,
I rather think that Sgian Dubh just described that!

If you don't mind rounded corners (and you can always smarten them up with a chisel), Sgian Dubh's method doesn't actually require you to join the pieces at all - just use double sided tape to stick them to a piece of MDF and as long as the gap at the corners is less than the radius of your bearing guided bit, you will still have a perfectly usable jig.

many thanks, I had an idea that would be the way to go. I might need to repeat this cut a few times so maybe a more permenent jig is a good idea. Hopefully if the MDF version goes well then i'll be doing the same thing with hardwood.

Thanks again, i'll let you know how I get on. 8)

jaymar":1q1qp7hz said:
Cutting with a router and guide bush would require a perfect rectangle for the guide bush to follow. How would this be achieved? I've often puzzled about that.

Assuming you cut the sides accurately to length, you just need to make sure that the diagonals measure the same. Just as for squaring up any frame.

cheers

George

Back