Cut Nails

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
It's unusual for me to be talking about cut nails as I normally bite mine but here I go diving into the world of ironmongery.

I've been reading about several projects in different books that talk about cut nails. The most prolific being the packing case in The Joiner a d Cabinetmaker.

I understand the penny lengths and the difference between 4d and 6d, but I'm struggling to find examples mentioned in these books for sale in this country.

Chris Schwarz recommends Fine Finish Standard Cut Nails for general projects from Tremont Nail.

http://store.tremontnail.com/cgi-bin/tremontnail/items?mv_arg=28

I'm not particularly up for spending lots of money importing what I think I should be able to buy in this country.

So far all my efforts and searching have yielded rose head cut nails which aren't what I'm after and cut clasp nails which are used for flooring and might be a bit coarse for cabinetry.

I'm hoping someone might be able to shine some light on this subject and put me onto a supplier or a source for this currently elusive commodity.

You are right Andy they are expensive. That is the closest I've seen so far though!

The equivalent 1lb box is $11.50 so if I paid the same again for shipping and tax it might be about the same I guess.

It's a shame they don't do 6d (2") nails though. It does give me hope though!

Unfortunately I think that Glasgow steel nails relocated to the USA this year and don't serve this country anymore.

I brought some of the smaller Tremont cut clasp nails back with me after I'd been working in the US. I don't have loads, but if you're just looking for a couple I can send you some 3d or 4d.

Another option by the way are the copper roves used in boat building. They are available in this country and go well in smaller furniture pieces or boxes.

http://marinestore.co.uk/copper-nails.html

Thanks for the kind offers, they are much appreciated. I have just measured up the project I'm working on and it will require some 4d nails.

Custard it would be great if you could send me a couple to try and if they turn out to be what im looking for I might have to bite the bullet and import some.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. Gary (custard) has sent me several pairs of cut nails in different sizes and they were exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like I might be making contact with Tremont!

James C":4kucdw3e said:
Thanks to everyone for their contributions. Gary (custard) has sent me several pairs of cut nails in different sizes and they were exactly what I was looking for.

Looks like I might be making contact with Tremont!

Glad they were useful!

I looked on the Rutlands web site and I'm pretty sure they're actually Tremont nails. They look identical, they're priced the same, and they're packaged in exactly the same weight configurations.

I think that they are the same but £19 for a pound of nails compared to $12 seems a big difference.

I think however that covers import cost and and small margin which is perfectly valid. I imagine paying for a few pounds of metal to be shipped by ups isn't cheap and might get hit for import duty as well.

All in all Rutlands seems like the best bet and maybe they will be able to get hold of some other sizes and types as well.

Hi James
Just a thought - nails manufactured in strips for nail guns might be worth a look. I assume the could be hammered home singularly by hand.
Cheers John

Do you have a really old hardware shop anywhere nearby? I seem to remember seeing cut nails in my local hardware shop a few months back. Stepping in there is like going back in history. Next time I'm in town I'll have a look and see what they have.

Back