Curved bay window (how would you do it ?)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just been to look at a job where the owner wants a curved bay window made to replace the existing one . Lets assume its a semi circle 2.7m wide x 1.7m high with 48 glazed lights making the window into a georgian style window( lots of glazing bars)
The guy wants 4 6 4 dg so i can beef up the glazing bars =D> and don't worry i've told him he must supply the glass .
Any way how would you go about making such a thing ?

I'm not an expert on windows but I think I'd lay out a full size pattern on MDF so you can figure out the joinery of the bits. I'd probably also mock up the window opening in the shop so you can assemble the window and know it'll fit.

How deep is the arc?

By the way, what's "4 6 4 dg"?

As Dave says lay it out full size on some MDF/White hardbaord.

Are all the vert bars the same size or are there a couple of thicker ones that support the roof/structure above assuming its a large curve, if its onlt 150mm or so then they can all be the same.

Dave 4-6-4 means 4mm glass, 6mm air gap, 4mm glass.

If its a full replacement he will need a FENSA member to fit or pay the lacal authority to approve, just hope they don't ask for 28mm units :(

Jason

4mm glass 6mm double glazing gubbings and 4 mm glass .
Semi circle so 1350mm deep . Dave your on the same thinking as me .
I was just interested in how others would do it . Also may be a chance to use the Legacy for some real joinery :D

Jason , no the curve is quite large and all the glazing bars are the same .

When we used to get these to do, we would take some 6mm plywood offcuts and make templates on site of the curves from the existing & put all the necessary measurements on the templates, inside & out depending on the style of the window.

sounds like a nice little job to do.
i have seen them with straight glass where the rebates vari in depth.
could always make it straight sections not as good but alot cheaper.
other than that set out the arc with a compass and add all the detail and then make some templates for the sash rails and framing. then the bandsaw will be ya best friend :D

I started to draw this window out in SU just to see what it would look like. I assume the panes of glass are flat? How many do you need to make it fit the style?

Are the frames curved or straight segments joined together?

The frames are curved as are the glazing bars but the glass is flat , 48 of them .
I wont be making curved glazing bars !!! :shock:

No curved glazing bars!! I thought the legacy would make those during a teabreak :D

Latest posts

Back