Current state of play regarding inverters for dual motor Wadkin thicknessers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julianf

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive read posts in the past where people discuss the difficulties in converting 3ph wadkin thicknessers to 1ph, due to the dual motors.

I know about as much on the subject as is contained in the line above - ie virtually nothing.

Most of the posts ive read have been old and, generally, without conclusion.

So my question is -

If i were to obtain a 3ph wadkin now, with twin motors, is there a good (tested) pathway to running the machine on a 1ph supply?

Im guessing twin inverters, but i gather not all motors can easily be run off inverters? The cost of inverters is not what it used to be, so any indication on costing to do the job properly / reliably?

Thank you,

I am using a rotary convertor ( not a static convertor ) from Convertor king. Its super reliable and simple and runs all three motors - including the dust extractor. Admittedly it took me over a year of research and indecision but I can run all my 3 phase stuff very easily without re wiring the whole lot. 60 amp single phase comes into the building,
lights dim for a second when I start the massive bandsaw! But that has an electromagnetic clutch brake in the motor, which was proving impossible to use with an investor. Happy to discuss further.
John

As a minimum it would be twin inverter as you cannot run two motors from a single inverter. However, I spent sometime thinking about this machine and could not find anyone who had actually done it, so I gave it up as an option.

Sorry not much help except strengthening what you’d already discovered.

F.

I have a large horticultural potting machine with 3 x 3 phase motors. I dont have three phase either but have been using a Transwave three phase to single phase convertor I got years ago from Power capacitors www.powercapacitors.co.uk www.transwave.co.uk
It works very well although my machine runs at a continuous speed and constant load. Not sure how it would cope with variable loading. You set the output three phase current to suit the running amps. Might be worth contacting them to see. I think mine is a static convertor

Alasdair

The easiest solution is the digital phase convertor, 230 volt in and a 400 volt three phase supply but at a fixed frequency. You do not have to change or modify anything within the machine and if you get a larger size than actually needed you can power other machinery when you buy it, three phase stuff tends to be cheaper and often better quality from days gone by. The only caveat is that your workshop supply needs to be capable of supplying the convertor.

Ive read posts in the past where people discuss the difficulties in converting 3ph wadkin thicknessers to 1ph, due to the dual motors.

I know about as much on the subject as is contained in the line above - ie virtually nothing.

Most of the posts ive read have been old and, generally, without conclusion.

So my question is -

If i were to obtain a 3ph wadkin now, with twin motors, is there a good (tested) pathway to running the machine on a 1ph supply?

Im guessing twin inverters, but i gather not all motors can easily be run off inverters? The cost of inverters is not what it used to be, so any indication on costing to do the job properly / reliably?

Thank you,
did you sort this out?

Yes and no -

I got a 7.5kw inverter off amazon for about £80 on one of their times when suddenly the price drops for some unknown reason (they were £400 again the week after) and then a small one for the feed motor.

But, no, the machine isnt back in one part yet. And my friend got himself a new dive compressor, so ran off with the 7.5kw job also (ill get it back at some point, but ive no problem with him using it in the meen time)

So my outlay was less than £150, but the machine had broken castings etc too (which ive now found) but the building its going into still isnt reddy for it, so its still just a pile of parts at present.

Back