Curing finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a carry-over from another post in which I was seeking help about Briwax Teak Oil not curing on my model aeroplanes. To recap, the oil would seemingly dry in 6-8 hours but remain sticky for days. It was driving me crazy. I figured it was something to do with climate which in our current winter is cold wet and gloomy but my finishing room is temperature controlled and a steady 20°C was not helping. So yesterday the sun finally decided to make an appearance for 45 minutes or so and shone through the window onto the wing of one of a pair of Mosquitoes in the process of supposedly drying after being oiled. In this 45 minutes the wing lost its stickiness which of course makes you think. A bit of a hunt around located an old UV sun lamp that hadn't been used in decades and still worked, much to my surprise. The UV lamp doesn't put out any heat or if it does its minimal, but 30 minutes a side at a distance of about a metre and the two Mosquitoes are sticky free. I am very happy and pass this on for what it's worth.

Most finishes don’t fully cure for a week or so, some like oils can take longer depending on humidity and ambient temperature…
With oil it important to remove as much excess as possible, make sure it’s well ventilated, at least 15c and it’ll cure.

Back