Cupboard Latches?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm on the home run building some fitted wardrobes - face frame with flush doors, and turning my mind to hardware; in particular catches. In the past I've used magnetic catches and roller catches. With the magnetic catches I find the "clack" as they close quite loud, especially used in a bedroom. The latter, whilst a little duller sounding, make a noise when opening and closing. What I'm really after is some quiet catches with just the right amount of pull for full length doors.

Grateful as ever for any thoughts and recommendations.

Cheers

PS. One idea I have considered is concealing the plate for the magnetic catches behind a soft material, such as leather. Or, using rare earth magnets embedded in the door and face frame with perhaps a little padding too.

I had a similar dilemma recently when making a shaker style kitchen for a customer who wanted butt hinges but no noise when the doors shut. After a bit of research online I found some really cool rare earth magnets which were perfect for the job. You set them into the top or bottom rail of the door(on the horizontal edge). You set another one into the face frame so that when the door is shut they exactly face each other. They are however not in contact due to the gap between door and frame. They are powerful enough to slow down the door and stop it but with a completely silent action. They work in such a way that the doors appear to have soft closers on them- which were not necessary. Bigger magnets work for bigger doors. If you want you can even recess tham a tiny ammount and cover with filler making them invisible. I think the company selling them was Elite Catches or Buntings magnets. I just googled them. Customer thought they were fab, and no noisy crash of magnet onto metal.

Lester Burnham.

Thank you both. The magnets seem like the perfect solution - exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Cheers.

One further question, Lester - are the magnet fixing positions adjustable (i.e. to ensure the face of the door is aligned to the face of the frame)?

Actually... one more further question... catch strength... In the past I've just bought magnetic catches. It is only recently that I see reference to various strengths (expressed in Kg) and I have no idea what sort of strength I should go for. It there a rule of thumb for such things?

Thanks again.

Sorry for delayed response, currently on holiday!
Magnets can be located where you like as you fix by drilling a hole and setting them in yourself. The company I bought from recommended I offset the face frame magnet by 2mm from the one set in the top of the door, presumably to ensure the door was really pulled in. I found after a few doors it wasn't necessary and I got a good parallel fit just matching them on the same plane.

I was using the smallest magnets which required a 12 mm diameter drill hole. I was led to believe this would be sufficient for kitchen cabinet sized doors. They sell a bigger magnet, 15mm hole, of which I got a sample. It is very strong and is claimed to work with the two facing magnets up to 4mm apart. Ie no physical contact of the magnets, and a space of 4mm between them and they are still capable of stopping a swinging door and keeping it shut. I would suggest fitting these magnets on the top AND bottom of a full size cupboard door, ant leaving gaps between door and frame of 2to 4mm would work well. It may be a bit trial an error. The company sent me some free samples and were very helpfull , even had a you tube demo video I think. Give them a bell. The more magnets you buy the cheaper they are. I think I paid around £3.50 per pair. Interested to know how you get on as I will use these when I next make some wardrobe doors myself.

Regards from thailand!

LB.

Thanks for the update - all the way from Thailand!

I have the 14mm magnets. As you say, the company were very helpful and consistent - they also mentioned the 2mm offset. I've yet to make the doors so may be a little while before they're fitted but I'll post an update when they're done.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back