Crude but it worked

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was faced with cutting a new primary bevel on a plane iron. With the state of my back I could not face a long hand grind on the diamond stone. I have an High speed grinder but I am not that keen on hollow ground bevels. Now this is the crude bit, I have a belt sander that can be mounted upside down, I have an eclipse honing guide, I thought if the wheel of the guide rolls ok on the diamond stones when I push it, it should also work ok when connected on the moving belt. I set the guide for 25 degrees, put on a medium grit belt, set the slowest speed and positioned the plane blade as close the end of the belt were it is still supported by the plate underneath. The reason I positioned the blade there is that the belt is much flatter compared to say in the middle where the edges of the belt have a tendency to curl up. I lowered the blade and the guide down on to the moving belt (belt rotation moving away from the blade), and every thing seemed quite stable, after about 3minutes I had a resonably flat new bevel. A 3 minute grind on the diamond stone and it was dead flat across the whole face. I am surprised this worked so well. However if you dare try this check that the belt it flat right across when it is running, unless of course you want a cambered blade.

Newt and Tony

Here is something else that might interest you. An Eclipse on the Belt Sander.

Grindingachisel1.jpg

I have also been experimenting with the LV Mk II guide.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The one-wheel guides - like the Marples - were marketed for just such a use, but on a wheel natch. I have a nagging feeling using it on a stone was never even suggested until much later. Have to check on that.

Cheers, Alf

Derek, thats what I did, but I kept right at the end of the platen where the belt lays flatter as it passes on to the roller.

Alf, it seems that there is nothing new, its all been done before one way or another.

newt":1sy3x0pv said:
Alf, it seems that there is nothing new, its all been done before one way or another.
Pete, alas, it does seem like that sometimes, doesn't it? But then Alexander famously wept because there were no more worlds to conquer and it turned out he was way short of the mark, so maybe there's hope? :D Incidentally I'm sorry if in the haste to demonstrate the old brian cell was functioning I inadvertantly rather shot you down - t'was most definitely not intentional. :(

Should anyone still remain interested in my digression, the article I was thinking of that shows the one-wheeled, pre-Marples jig as purely for use on the grinding wheel was in "Amateur Work Illustrated" c.1881. Character called A D Newton of Worcester, Mass. was apparently the patentee but I've yet to find the patent to clarify what exactly he claimed for it.

Cheers, Alf

Warning - doing this can have unintended consequences!

I did this with a chisel, and the sparks "detonated" the wood flour residue in the dust bag (it had been emptied, but there was some residue). All that was left of the dust bag was the zip and a few fragments of gently smouldering fabric...

Just a warning.

M

Alf":1jish9eg said:
The one-wheel guides - like the Marples

You may remember, Alf, that I picked up one of those natty little Marples guides at PFT when we met up for the Mini-Bash. I went to try it out the other day and found that the pressure plate on the clamping screw is so small that it goes right through the hole in a normal bench plane blade so doesn't clamp it at all :shock: :shock: Nothing that a slight modification won't cure, but another tool that doesn't work straight out of the box :cry: Despite this minor snag, I reckon it will be great for honing cambered blades once I get it going :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Please note M's warning I removed my dust bag and cleaned the ports of any dust before the adventure with the belt sander.

Paul, d'you know I had some difficulty keeping track of your booty at PFT... :-k :lol: Trying to recall whether mine is similarly handicapped, but I'd have to find it first. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

The great design feature of the Marples is the barrel shaped roller.

Tool clamping department not so secure.

The grinding aspect shown by Alf is fascinating, but I suspect more suitable for a sandstone wheel (or Tormek type) than a modern high speed bench grinder, which I think might be very dangerous.

David C

I always use my Bosch belt sander for grinding chisels/plane blades. Makes a much neater job than my measly little 6" bench grindstone which leaves chisel ends looking like they've been nibbled by rats. Slower but
it runs cooler.
Neat box shaped case means you just turn it over and sit it on the bench.
Not that I do it much nowadays of course since I discovered how to use an oil stone properly as described here and (at excessive length) here as they don't get into poor enough condition to warrant regrinding, unless they get dropped or hit a nail etc.
I grind (or sand as it's sandpaper) a rounded bevel freehand without a jig, at 25deg or less, as described in the links, and keep the chisel moving about which also helps keep it cool.

cheers
Jacob

Latest posts

Back