Critique required-piece No5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well this is me first turning of the year,so i thought i'd put it up for critique,haven't had one for a while :shock:
Another piece of Horse Chestnut,which was meant to be made for a xmas box,but it never,flu and all that,so tis a bit late.
Sizes are-300mm x 75mm.Finished with sanding sealer and wax
All comments welcome :D

Underneath

Topish/side view.

Inner.

Side view.

Paul.J.

Looks very delicate around the top edge...did you have any particular influence :lol:

hi paul, firstly the finish looks excellent :D .
the only thing i do not like is the ripples, detractes from the colour and grain of the timber.
not sure what to do different tho,

got a lump of elm on the lathe(been there since xmas) quite plain but not sure what to do. first idea was rope around top not used anything like that before

I really can't make my mind up whether or not I like it. Mainly because the finish is so good it almost looks plastic. (How's that for a back handed compliment :?: )

The outside is a really unusual and effective idea tho' I think I would personally prefer it if the sides were less straight but that's personal preference.

Nice beginning to the New Year

Pete

I like that Paul.

Lovely figure to the wood, nicely executed and finished. Nice thin rim (a personal preference of mine), and I think the ripples give it "that something different" that catches the eye.

Regards

Gary

Hmm, going on first impressions two things stand out to me having worked some of this very wood; (thanks Paul)

1. The delicate look given by the treatment of the rim compliments the figuring and really works for me on this piece.
2. The finish looks excellent on what is not a very hard wood with a natural penchant for showing any left in scratches.

Tried not to be influenced by other comments and make my own observations, but I too think I would have preferred to see the outside left plain, although that may have added to Petes' 'plastic effect' observation I think the wood figuring would have held its own.
I think one of the reasons for my reservations on the outer finish is the fact that looking side on there is a slight variation in profile of the 'ridges' being neither constant nor graded across the face, this may not be at all significant or obvious in the finished piece as one rarely stares at something like this in profile.
I personally would not have tackled them either way because of the ease with which they could be sanded out on the wood.

You did well to get that 300mm out of the stock Paul.

Oldsoke wrote
did you have any particular influence
Very good Graham :lol:
Believe it or not Graham,it was one of Petes (Bodrighy's) pieces that gave me the idea some time back but in a bowl,but i'm sure i've seen it elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies and compliments everyone :D
I thought this piece would get a mixed response :D
I have been meaning to do this style for a while but wasn't sure if i would like it or not meself.
So seeing as how i have done a few pieces in Horse Chestnut,thought i would put the idea into practise with this piece,and now that it is done i'm not sure if i do like it or not.
It does feel nice to the touch.
I didn't really pay much attention to the rings been the same size,just went down it,and it cut nice and clean so it was left for sanding.
The bowl is not as thin this as the rim as i know it will have a lot of use so have left the sides about 6mm thick.

Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back