Critique please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi people.

Thought I would give Chas. a bit more work. :lol:

My design, my work, and according to 'er indoors, it's staying in our house. :x

Had a part rotted oak log, approx. 200mm dia. x 600mm long and came up with this idea to use it. Wood has been air dried for over 1 year.

Made a rough sketch, and drawing with sizes and came up with these bits. Overall size to be - width = 435mm. depth = 340mm. height = 300mm.

Had to stabilize some pieces because of the rot, used Ronseal wood hardener. After turning I oiled the parts, (3 coats) making sure I left the glue end clear. I then cut off the nibs left on the top of the legs which had been used for the tail centre, and sanded smooth. Oiled the top of the legs, then finished all with a coat of paste wax.

Frame glued up, then left overnight to cure.

As it was my first time using 'rush' on a new seat I used synthetic paper rush. Basically for ease, and cost :oops: in case I made a mess-up. Did the seat twice. Partially each time, kept making the mistake of pulling the cord too tight. Got it right at the third attempt.

The final result.
/ /

It now sits in our sitting room. The main reason for the exercise was that I have had some oak drying for the last 2 years with which I intend making a set of 6 dining chairs to match our table. Wish me luck!

(Have moved the pics. to another hosting site, let's hope this stays with us.)

Hi Nick.

Yes, just turned the end spigots and the small cut-a-way beside them.

When I do more I won't leave the top rails so wide, they were quite awkward to bed the rush onto at the corners. (The cut-a-way was a after thought)

I don't want to offer a critique so much as admire your wife's good taste :) .

Gill

First things first Tam, great finished result and full marks for thinking outside the envelope in log conversion to a practical piece of furniture.

The consistency of dimensions and form on the legs looks very good, all the more so given that you would not have had much spare wood for mistakes.

The fit of the bottom rails looks good also, not as easy as it would at first seem seeing as the legs are vertical and distance between centres is dependant on more than one component.

Your choice of oil and wax for finishing I think is a winner given that the wood is 'new' and subject to doing its own thing for a while.

Lovely job all round Tam :D
Some lovely turning there.
How do you keep those edges looking so sharp.
Is it straight off the tool or is there some sanding involved.
Not much of a critique i know but,can't see anything to critisize :roll:
Paul.J.

Hi Paul.

Yep! All well sanded after turning, and lightly sanded between coats of oil using 1000grit wet&dry.

The art of sanding is more important than the tooling. You can ruin the whole work with a piece of sandpaper. If your careful and you take your time and sand the work not the edges you'll do fine.

Well spotted on the centre strut Chas. was a bit of a pig to fit. I had two at first to fit between the legs but one was so soft I chucked it. Just as well I checked all the pieces before I drilled the mortise holes. If I hadn't the air would have been BLUE!

Did a dummy fit with all parts and measured the centre strut to fit. All turned out OK though. No pun intended. :lol: One thing the exercise did teach me was that when I start on my chairs all the spindles will be slightly over length to be cut to fit.

Boy that brings back memories. I can remember making those at school. We used seagrass for the seating, had a very distinctive smell.

Thing I admire most on this is the accuracy and the copying. Doubt if I could do that yet.....in fact I'm sure I couldn't

Pete

Said it before Pete, don't knock yourself, you could probably do the copying if you set your mind to it. Start off with a doll sized 3 legged stool with a solid top. Make two or three, then move on to the type I made. :wink:

Latest posts

Back