Crank Aus radio station call

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I feel for the family of the Nurse who decided to take her own life, but the level of reporting this story has received is driving me nuts. I am just waiting for a public enquiry to be announced.

Am I alone on this one?

I agree. What I do find even more depressing is the lynch mob mentality via the Internet in hounding the two Aussie presenters. Personally I wish social media sites had never been invented.

Surely the focus should be on the security and communication protocols surrounding the royal family and those procedures at the hospital. The DJ's did nothing that other media organisations hadn't done before. I think the hospital should be investigated for what they said to the nurse after the fact, did they really support her or did she get disciplined

Russell":3l0mr5s5 said:
Surely the focus should be on the security and communication protocols surrounding the royal family and those procedures at the hospital. The DJ's did nothing that other media organisations hadn't done before. I think the hospital should be investigated for what they said to the nurse after the fact, did they really support her or did she get disciplined

The hospital has stated that (a) she was not going to be disciplined and (b) offered counselling etc. On the face of it, the hospital seems to have tried very hard to give her the support she needed.

Then again playing a prank on a Hospital is hardly the smartest thing to do. Hospitals tend to be pretty serious places. I honestly think they have more pressing and better things to do, unlike that particular radio station. It's fairly obvious that the station did not follow the rules in respect to obtaining the correct permissions.

Nurses take patient confidentiality very seriously indeed and any indescretions can result in being struck off the register and loss of their career. With 4 nurses and a GP in my immediate family, I can sympathise with this poor nurse who would have been devastated and ashamed that she was tricked by a couple of unscrupulous DJs who were intent on nothing else but getting cheap laughs at any cost.

IMPERSONATING OTHER PEOPLE TO GAIN PERSONAL MEDICAL INFORMATION IS FRAUD IN MY BOOK.

Remember that this station has history of previous very questionable activities and has been repremanded in the past.

OK - no-one could have forseen that she would take her own life and she may well have had other issues but imagine the pressure she was under when the bloodhounds of national media blew up the story, and they should share the responsibility. All this nurse did was pass on a phone call to her colleague because she believed the persons enquiring were genuine. The other effect that the actions of these idiots will have is that it will become impossible for anyone to get information over the phone in future. What if a member of your family was in hospital maybe 100 miles away and no-one would tell you their condition in case they were being duped. I know I would be pretty upset.

The whole story should be dropped now but the station should have its licence revoked.

Just me twopennerth.
Bob

That is perfectly true, as a student nurse we had more lectures on confidentiality than any other subject.

I once got into mild trouble for not telling the hospital press officer about the condition of a patient who had suffered a news worthy accident.

We were not allowed to report to one family member the condition of another member of the wider family if those circumstances should arise.

Princess or pauper patients should not be the subject of crank calls. Likewise ALL patients regardless of class and status have a right to privacy and should not be treated differently just because of some attached ‘Royal’ label. As for the two DJ’s perhaps they might consider a change of career that may bring more good into the wider community than the rather futile and pathetic radio station they currently work for.

Gareth

Sorry I do not think this is a topic for a woodworking forum to discuss as with these types of posts feelings tend to run high and get heated very quickly
My sympathies are to her Familly

RogerBoyle":3jd6fhnu said:
Sorry I do not think this is a topic for a woodworking forum to discuss as with these types of posts feelings tend to run high and get heated very quickly
My sympathies are to her Familly

It is in the Off-Topic thread and I have seen no signs of discord nor expect any, to be honest.

I agree with rogerboyle.

This is not a subject to be aired here. There are many other more suitable places.

My thoughts are with the nurses family and friends.

AL

The whole point of the 'Off Topic Forum' in my eyes is to have these open and honest discussions. If you don't feel the topic should be discussed then either report to the moderator or ignore, but please don't comment that we should not be having the discussion.

Could not agree more flanajb,whilst it is very sad that someone has taken their own life and my condolences go to her family, the way the media blow this type of story out of all proportion is ridiculous,the news readers should stick to reading the news and not try to analyze the rights and wrongs of the story they are reporting. Yes mistakes were made and those involved should be disciplined, but what possible good can come from closing down the radio station??? all that would do is make a number of innocent people redundant. Some people are to quick to judge others without knowing all the facts and of course the press love any type of scandal because thats what sells the papers and makes people watch the news. imho this event should not be used as a reason to vilify people but as a lesson to be learnt so that it does not happen in the future.

The fate of the radio station might depend on any protocols they did (or rather did not) follow. From the interviews that the radio station have given and from the statements of the Hospital it's clear that they ignored certain media 'rules'. You can hardly expect anything but stern criticism. The fact that the prank was aimed at a Hospital is even more baffling. Unless you think that phoning your local Hospital, wasting their time (just to elicit a bit of a laugh!) is 'harmless'. Personally I think it an extremely stupid thing to do. I don't expect many would approve of a similar thing being played on one of the emergency services. A Hospital isn't that different. It's obvious that such an institution is the wrong target. What were they thinking?

MARK.B.":1ios42qy said:
Could not agree more flanajb,whilst it is very sad that someone has taken their own life and my condolences go to her family, the way the media blow this type of story out of all proportion is ridiculous,the news readers should stick to reading the news and not try to analyze the rights and wrongs of the story they are reporting. Yes mistakes were made and those involved should be disciplined, but what possible good can come from closing down the radio station??? all that would do is make a number of innocent people redundant. Some people are to quick to judge others without knowing all the facts and of course the press love any type of scandal because thats what sells the papers and makes people watch the news. imho this event should not be used as a reason to vilify people but as a lesson to be learnt so that it does not happen in the future.
:shock: Can you say that on here?

=D>

MARK.B.":obtjoc51 said:
imho this event should not be used as a reason to vilify people but as a lesson to be learnt so that it does not happen in the future.

Hi Mark

The problem is however that this particular station definately does not learn its lessons. They annoyed many Australians with their "prank" on a young girl who they scared quite badly and there were at the time calls that they should answer charges of child abuse.

My brother and sister in law tell me that there have been a number of very questionable episodes they appear to have "got away with". They have apparently been losing listeners rapidly and are using such stunts to attract them back.

It's always about money is it not?

Bob

Hi Bob, thank you for the extra info on what the radio station has done in the past and please dont think I was in any way having a dig at you or your opinions as that was not my intention. As i said those involved should be disciplined and if the two presenters have done this type of thing in the past then yes sack them and those at the station that sanction this sort of behaviour, to close the station down will surely mean that others working there(cleaners/technicians/tea lady etc) would lose thier jobs through no fault of thier own and that just cant be right can it ? .
I believe i'm right in saying that the point flanajb was trying to make is that its not the fact that the media report such cases it is the fact that they flood the news channels with assumption's / maybe's /what if's and the like to such an extent that the actual event becomes lost amongst a lot of meaningless rubbish.
Sadly my friend it is all about the money and the ratings and that makes me sad as I was bought up to believe in Morals and standards .

Regards

Mark

MARK.B.":dutxzb2t said:
Hi Bob, thank you for the extra info on what the radio station has done in the past and please dont think I was in any way having a dig at you or your opinions as that was not my intention. As i said those involved should be disciplined and if the two presenters have done this type of thing in the past then yes sack them and those at the station that sanction this sort of behaviour, to close the station down will surely mean that others working there(cleaners/technicians/tea lady etc) would lose thier jobs through no fault of thier own and that just cant be right can it ? .
I believe i'm right in saying that the point flanajb was trying to make is that its not the fact that the media report such cases it is the fact that they flood the news channels with assumption's / maybe's /what if's and the like to such an extent that the actual event becomes lost amongst a lot of meaningless rubbish.
Sadly my friend it is all about the money and the ratings and that makes me sad as I was bought up to believe in Morals and standards .

Regards

Mark

:lol: :lol: :lol: Never crossed my mind you might be "having a dig". healthy discussion and differing opinions - what makes the world go around after all :)

I agree with what you said BTW but it isn't necessarily the presenters at fault. They are employees, and what isn't clear is what kind of pressure they may have been under to come up with this (or even if it was their idea).As you said, somebody higher up the chain of command would have sanctioned the broadcast and it is the station itself who have the bad reputation. There were whispers that they'd "bought" their way out of prosecution the last time.

I'm not sure that allowing the station to carry on as is should be allowed even if it means the loss of jobs however hard that might be. A better solution would be to force them into more moral broadcasting but the consensus it that it would never happen.

Funny lot these Ozzies mind you. I keep telling my brother that but for some reason he just says "wish you were here, barbie is lit and it's 30 deg out" :roll:

cheers

Bob

Back